Csound Csound-dev Csound-tekno Search About

[Csnd-dev] Mixer Opcodes

Date2019-04-04 14:07
FromPierpaolo De Nicolo
Subject[Csnd-dev] Mixer Opcodes
Hi guys...
I am scripting a musical piece using the CSound language for my uni thesis...
I am synthesising the whole sound... using very different instruments, some of them are noise based, some of them are wave based (this is probably my main problem as the amplitudes of those different instruments are controlled in a very different way).

Anyway I d like to build an extra control stage....routing all signals coming out of the instruments into a mixer instrument.

Also I want to keep the mixer sends of each instrument Sereo on each event in order to get an automation kind a of control.
So each instrument has 2 mixersends and 2 mixersetlevel that are going to separate mixer instruments (R and L) and then finally I mix the signals of the L and R mixer into a master mixer instrument.

Before I did that I really tried many different kind of implementations, but this looks to me as the best (even if is not good enough).

With every kind of implementation the program crushes as soon as I playback (looks like overloaded.

Is there anybody who can help me with the MIXER OPCODE theory and maybe who can help me with these issues

Thanks for your attention

Kind Regards

Date2019-04-04 14:50
FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Mixer Opcodes
I'm not familiar with these opcodes, but I do what you describe using chnset and chnget opcodes and have never had any problems. 

On Thu, 4 Apr 2019 at 14:17, Pierpaolo De Nicolo <pdenicolo@hotmail.it> wrote:
Hi guys...
I am synthesising the whole sound... using very different instruments, some of them are noise based, some of them are wave based (this is probably my main problem as the amplitudes of those different instruments are controlled in a very different way).

Anyway I d like to build an extra control stage....routing all signals coming out of the instruments into a mixer instrument.

Also I want to keep the mixer sends of each instrument Sereo on each event in order to get an automation kind a of control.
So each instrument has 2 mixersends and 2 mixersetlevel that are going to separate mixer instruments (R and L) and then finally I mix the signals of the L and R mixer into a master mixer instrument.

Before I did that I really tried many different kind of implementations, but this looks to me as the best (even if is not good enough).

With every kind of implementation the program crushes as soon as I playback (looks like overloaded.

Is there anybody who can help me with the MIXER OPCODE theory and maybe who can help me with these issues

Kind Regards

Pierpaolo De Nicolo

Date2019-04-04 15:03
FromPierpaolo De Nicolò
I ll do it trying to use those opcodes and get back to you... To see if it works for me...

Thank you very much!!!

From: Csound-developers <CSOUND-DEV@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE> on behalf of Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@EAR.IE>
Sent: Thursday, April 4, 2019 2:50:19 PM
To: CSOUND-DEV@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE
Subject: Re: [Csnd-dev] Mixer Opcodes

I'm not familiar with these opcodes, but I do what you describe using chnset and chnget opcodes and have never had any problems. 

Hi guys...

Kind Regards

Pierpaolo De Nicolo

Date2019-04-04 16:34
FromSteven Yi
I use a global audio array and some opcodes in my livecode setup:

that works fairly well.  Each bus channel is a stereo pair, levels are applied prior to mixing into the channels.  Not sure if the code here may be used directly but could be useful as a starting point. 

You can see how they get used in these two live coding videos:

On Thu, Apr 4, 2019 at 10:03 AM Pierpaolo De Nicolò <pdenicolo@hotmail.it> wrote:
I ll do it trying to use those opcodes and get back to you... To see if it works for me...

Thank you very much!!!

From: Csound-developers <CSOUND-DEV@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE> on behalf of Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@EAR.IE>

Hi guys...

Kind Regards

Pierpaolo De Nicolo

Date2019-04-04 19:03
FromTarmo Johannes
Hi,

I personally use just global audio variables for something like this,

but maybe opcode
is what you need.

There are aslo signal flow graph opcodes that is the most flexible and versatile  solution to connect signals in various ways:

tarmo

On neljapäev, 4. aprill, 2019 - 18:34, Steven Yi <stevenyi@GMAIL.COM> wrote:

that works fairly well.  Each bus channel is a stereo pair, levels are applied prior to mixing into the channels.  Not sure if the code here may be used directly but could be useful as a starting point. 

On Thu, Apr 4, 2019 at 10:03 AM Pierpaolo De Nicolò <pdenicolo@hotmail.it> wrote:

Thank you very much!!!

Hi guys...

Kind Regards

Pierpaolo De Nicolo

Date2019-04-04 20:58
FromMichael Gogins
The signal flow graph opcodes are quite flexible and can use vector audio signal types. Their main limitation is that all instances of a instrument definition mix their outputs into the input. See the example in the Csound Reference Manual.

Any kind of signal routing can be done with global variables, but one must remember to zero out the buss variables at the end of each kperiod. The signal flow graph opcodes do that for you. They also make it easier to create modular orchestras, where you can mix and match and reorder instruments, because the signal connections are not defined in the instruments themselves, but rather in the orchestra header, as in the example. 

Regards, 
Mike

On Fri, Apr 5, 2019, 07:03 Tarmo Johannes <trmjhnns@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

I personally use just global audio variables for something like this,

but maybe opcode
is what you need.

There are aslo signal flow graph opcodes that is the most flexible and versatile  solution to connect signals in various ways:

tarmo

On neljapäev, 4. aprill, 2019 - 18:34, Steven Yi <stevenyi@GMAIL.COM> wrote:

Thank you very much!!!

Hi guys...

Kind Regards

Pierpaolo De Nicolo

Date2019-04-05 15:28
Fromthorin kerr
AttachmentsMixerPatcher.csd  
Here's an example using Mixer opcodes, a table, and a 'patcher' instrument to set the signal path. This way you can re-patch during performance.

Thorin

On Thu, Apr 4, 2019 at 11:17 PM Pierpaolo De Nicolo <pdenicolo@hotmail.it> wrote:
Hi guys...

Kind Regards

Pierpaolo De Nicolo

Date2019-04-09 13:08
FromPierpaolo De Nicolò
Hi guys sorry for the late answer.. I just needed some time to study these solutions and apply them on my code...
First of all thanks cause that made my thesis way better.

At the end i ve chosen the signal flow graph opcode as it is very flexible and perfect for this application...

Global variables are also a very good tool for master controls and i m going to use those ones in the future!!

Thanks also for the live coding video that gave me a lot of inspiration!

Pier

From: Csound-developers <CSOUND-DEV@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE> on behalf of thorin kerr <thorin.kerr@GMAIL.COM>
Sent: Friday, April 5, 2019 3:28:21 PM

Here's an example using Mixer opcodes, a table, and a 'patcher' instrument to set the signal path. This way you can re-patch during performance.

Thorin

On Thu, Apr 4, 2019 at 11:17 PM Pierpaolo De Nicolo <pdenicolo@hotmail.it> wrote:
Hi guys...

Kind Regards

Pierpaolo De Nicolo