Csound Csound-dev Csound-tekno Search About

Re: [Csnd-dev] Very recent Csound breaks building CsoundQt

Date2016-10-24 10:36
FromNate Whetsell
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Very recent Csound breaks building CsoundQt
I opened issue #703  about this. It might be a good idea to move this discussion over there so everything’s in one place, but…

> How necessary is this change?

It’d be pretty unexpected for csoundCompile to change strings passed in the argument array (argv), or the option string passed to csoundSetOption to be changed in that function. Using const char * rather than char * makes this official.

> What do you suggest to do?

This depends on the errors you get when building CsoundQt.

Nate

PS — Somewhat off topic, if a commit message contains a phrase like “closes #703” (the full list is at https://help.github.com/articles/closing-issues-via-commit-messages/), then GitHub automatically adds a mention to the issue, and also closes the issue if the commit

Date2016-10-24 11:51
FromVictor Lazzarini
I think your suggestion is sound and we should keep it. I have bumped the API version to
highlight this change.
========================
Dr Victor Lazzarini
Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies and Philosophy,
Maynooth University,
Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
Tel: 00 353 7086936
Fax: 00 353 1 7086952 

> On 24 Oct 2016, at 10:36, Nate Whetsell  wrote:
> 
> I opened issue #703  about this. It might be a good idea to move this discussion over there so everything’s in one place, but…
> 
>> How necessary is this change?
> 
> It’d be pretty unexpected for csoundCompile to change strings passed in the argument array (argv), or the option string passed to csoundSetOption to be changed in that function. Using const char * rather than char * makes this official.
> 
>> What do you suggest to do?
> 
> This depends on the errors you get when building CsoundQt.
> 
> Nate
> 
> PS — Somewhat off topic, if a commit message contains a phrase like “closes #703” (the full list is at https://help.github.com/articles/closing-issues-via-commit-messages/), then GitHub automatically adds a mention to the issue, and also closes the issue if the commit is

Date2016-10-24 14:13
FromFelipe Sateler
Is the issue fixed if you change from  'const char ** argv' to 'const
char * const * argv' ?

I think the compiler rejects "partial" const-conversions.

On 24 October 2016 at 07:51, Victor Lazzarini  wrote:
> I think your suggestion is sound and we should keep it. I have bumped the API version to
> highlight this change.
> ========================
> Dr Victor Lazzarini
> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies and Philosophy,
> Maynooth University,
> Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
> Tel: 00 353 7086936
> Fax: 00 353 1 7086952
>
>
>
>
>> On 24 Oct 2016, at 10:36, Nate Whetsell  wrote:
>>
>> I opened issue #703  about this. It might be a good idea to move this discussion over there so everything’s in one place, but…
>>
>>> How necessary is this change?
>>
>> It’d be pretty unexpected for csoundCompile to change strings passed in the argument array (argv), or the option string passed to csoundSetOption to be changed in that function. Using const char * rather than char * makes this official.
>>
>>> What do you suggest to do?
>>
>> This depends on the errors you get when building CsoundQt.
>>
>> Nate
>>
>> PS — Somewhat off topic, if a commit message contains a phrase like “closes #703” (the full list is at https://help.github.com/articles/closing-issues-via-commit-messages/), then GitHub automatically adds a mention to the issue, and also closes the issue if the commit is to the default branch.
>

-- 

Saludos,

Date2016-10-24 20:02
FromTarmo Johannes

Yes, all fine,  thanks to the macro CS_APIVERSION 4 I fixed the thing in CsoundQt sources, made necessary changes and now it build both with both "old" and "new" Csound sources.

thanks!

tarmo

24.10.2016 13:51 kirjutas kuupäeval "Victor Lazzarini" <Victor.Lazzarini@nuim.ie>:
I think your suggestion is sound and we should keep it. I have bumped the API version to
highlight this change.
========================
Dr Victor Lazzarini
Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies and Philosophy,
Maynooth University,
Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
Tel: 00 353 7086936
Fax: 00 353 1 7086952

> On 24 Oct 2016, at 10:36, Nate Whetsell <nathan.whetsell@GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> I opened issue #703 <https://github.com/csound/csound/issues/703> about this. It might be a good idea to move this discussion over there so everything’s in one place, but…
>
>> How necessary is this change?
>
> It’d be pretty unexpected for csoundCompile to change strings passed in the argument array (argv), or the option string passed to csoundSetOption to be changed in that function. Using const char * rather than char * makes this official.
>
>> What do you suggest to do?
>
> This depends on the errors you get when building CsoundQt.
>
> Nate
>
> PS — Somewhat off topic, if a commit message contains a phrase like “closes #703” (the full list is at https://help.github.com/articles/closing-issues-via-commit-messages/), then GitHub automatically adds a mention to the issue, and also closes the issue if the commit is to the default branch.