[Csnd-dev] default branch github..

Date2022-03-03 11:09
FromRory Walsh
Subject[Csnd-dev] default branch github..
Am I right in saying the default branch on github is develop, which builds cs7? If so, can we change the default to master, i.e., 6.17 stable? I have a quite a few CI builds in the wild that are now prone to issues because they are building cs7 by default rather than 6.something

Rory.

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd-dev] default branch github..
That would defeat the purpose of making develop csound 7? We could have kept going as before...

Anyway, perhaps making master the default branch, which holds csound 6.17.

I'll do what is perceived to be the best.

Victor
On 3 Mar 2022, at 11:09, Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@EAR.IE> wrote:

*Warning*

This email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.
Am I right in saying the default branch on github is develop, which builds cs7? If so, can we change the default to master, i.e., 6.17 stable? I have a quite a few CI builds in the wild that are now prone to issues because they are building cs7 by default rather than 6.something

Rory.

Date2022-03-03 11:30
FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd-dev] default branch github..
That would defeat the purpose of making develop csound 7? We could have kept going as before...

I don't get your point here?

Anyway, perhaps making master the default branch, which holds csound 6.17.

That's all I was asking for.

Date2022-03-03 11:33
FromEduardo Moguillansky
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd-dev] default branch github..

I don't think that CI builds (or any other builds or build instructions) should rely on what is set as default branch in github. If a build needs to build csound 6, then pulling from csound6 branch should be done explicitly. The issue will come back as soon as there is a release of csound 7 and master points to that.

Independent of that, and in light of develop now being in a very fragile state, I do agree that master should be the default in github.

On 03.03.22 12:26, Victor Lazzarini wrote:
That would defeat the purpose of making develop csound 7? We could have kept going as before...

Anyway, perhaps making master the default branch, which holds csound 6.17.

I'll do what is perceived to be the best.

Victor
On 3 Mar 2022, at 11:09, Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@EAR.IE> wrote:

*Warning*

This email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.
Am I right in saying the default branch on github is develop, which builds cs7? If so, can we change the default to master, i.e., 6.17 stable? I have a quite a few CI builds in the wild that are now prone to issues because they are building cs7 by default rather than 6.something

Rory.

Date2022-03-03 11:44
FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd-dev] default branch github..
This is true. In my case I will update these CI builds once Cs7 is stable.

On Thu, 3 Mar 2022 at 11:33, Eduardo Moguillansky <eduardo.moguillansky@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

my point is that we did not need to put csound7 into develop if it were not supposed to be the default branch. Could have continued work in a branch.

On 3 Mar 2022, at 11:30, Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@ear.ie> wrote:

That would defeat the purpose of making develop csound 7? We could have kept going as before...

I don't get your point here?

Anyway, perhaps making master the default branch, which holds csound 6.17.

That's all I was asking for.

Date2022-03-03 12:07
FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd-dev] default branch github..
I think it makes sense that Cs7 is in the develop branch. It is what's under current development after all - but I think the master branch should contain a stable build of Csound, which it does, 6.17.

On Thu, 3 Mar 2022 at 11:53, Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
my point is that we did not need to put csound7 into develop if it were not supposed to be the default branch. Could have continued work in a branch.

On 3 Mar 2022, at 11:30, Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@ear.ie> wrote:

That would defeat the purpose of making develop csound 7? We could have kept going as before...

I don't get your point here?

Anyway, perhaps making master the default branch, which holds csound 6.17.

That's all I was asking for.

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd-dev] default branch github..
i agree that setting master as default branch is good for now (and
perhaps even for the future).  and i seem to remember that this was a
consensus already shortly after the last release, when some people
followed the build instructions and had problems because develop is now
cs7 (which is great).
	joachim