Re: [Csnd-dev] Opcode Plugin stopped working

Date2019-01-22 11:10
FromSebastian Schmutzhard
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Opcode Plugin stopped working
Thanks for your reply!
With the latest commit, Csound is building.

I used the instructions from https://github.com/csound/csound/blob/develop/BUILD.md#debian

I tested the simple oscil opcode, which is working.

Running our plugin does not give any error messages, however it does not produce any output.
What I could test is, that the init function is called, but aperf not.

Best wishes,

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Opcode Plugin stopped working
I see. I think there was a change to unify aperf + kperf, and maybe that has caused an issue.
Can you try registering your opcode with the aperf function in the kperf ‘slot’ of the OENTRY
structure? See if that fixes it.

Maynooth University,
Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
Tel: 00 353 7086936
Fax: 00 353 1 7086952

> On 22 Jan 2019, at 11:10, Sebastian Schmutzhard  wrote:
>
> Thanks for your reply!
> With the latest commit, Csound is building.
>
> I used the instructions from https://github.com/csound/csound/blob/develop/BUILD.md#debian
>
> I tested the simple oscil opcode, which is working.
>
> Running our plugin does not give any error messages, however it does not produce any output.
> What I could test is, that the init function is called,

Date2019-01-22 11:57
FromSebastian Schmutzhard
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Opcode Plugin stopped working
Alright. Seems so.

changing in csnd::on_load
  csnd::thread::ia
  csnd::thread::ik

and renaming aperf to kperf
fixes that.

So there are no aperf functions any more? Is that intended?

On 22.01.19 12:37, Victor Lazzarini wrote:
> I see. I think there was a change to unify aperf + kperf, and maybe that has caused an issue.
> Can you try registering your opcode with the aperf function in the kperf ‘slot’ of the OENTRY
> structure? See if that fixes it.
>
> ========================
> Maynooth University,
> Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
> Tel: 00 353 7086936
> Fax: 00 353 1 7086952
>
>> On 22 Jan 2019, at 11:10, Sebastian Schmutzhard  wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for your reply!
>> With the latest commit, Csound is building.
>>
>> I used the instructions from https://github.com/csound/csound/blob/develop/BUILD.md#debian
>>
>> I tested the simple oscil opcode, which is working.
>>
>> Running our plugin does not give any error messages, however it does not produce any output.
>> What I could test is, that the init function is called, but aperf not.
>>
>> Best wishes,

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Opcode Plugin stopped working
Ok, I did not realise you were using CPOF. In that case, you can revert to your previous code and
just get the new version of Csound from GIT develop. I fixed this issue now in plugin.h and
you can continue as before (I don’t want to see CPOF broken from what it was published),
with aperf() and kperf() as distinct functions.

In any case I think we might need to revert those changes as they break the Csound C API.
Maynooth University,
Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
Tel: 00 353 7086936
Fax: 00 353 1 7086952

> On 22 Jan 2019, at 11:57, Sebastian Schmutzhard  wrote:
>
> Alright. Seems so.
>
> changing in csnd::on_load
>  csnd::thread::ia
>  csnd::thread::ik
>
> and renaming aperf to kperf
> fixes that.
>
> So there are no aperf functions any more? Is that intended?
>

> On 22.01.19 12:37, Victor Lazzarini wrote:
>> I see. I think there was a change to unify aperf + kperf, and maybe that has caused an issue.
>> Can you try registering your opcode with the aperf function in the kperf ‘slot’ of the OENTRY
>> structure? See if that fixes it.
>>
>> ========================
>> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy,
>> Maynooth University,
>> Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
>> Tel: 00 353 7086936
>> Fax: 00 353 1 7086952
>>
>>> On 22 Jan 2019, at 11:10, Sebastian Schmutzhard  wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks for your reply!
>>> With the latest commit, Csound is building.
>>>
>>> I used the instructions from https://github.com/csound/csound/blob/develop/BUILD.md#debian
>>>
>>> I tested the simple oscil opcode, which is working.
>>>
>>> Running our plugin does not give any error messages, however it does not produce any output.
>>> What I could test is, that the init function is called, but aperf not.
>>>
>>> Best wis

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Opcode Plugin stopped working
And responding to your question: yes the intention was that in Csound we would just
have 1 performance function. However, as far as CPOF is concerned, I think keeping the
distinction allows for more compact overloading. The code I fixed this morning maintains
compatibility with the published version (whatever decision we make).

What will happen is that the csnd::thread::ika option will be dropped (I think it is probably
not actually used anywhere). We might need to wait for 7 to make those changes or
there will be an API break within 6.

Maynooth University,
Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
Tel: 00 353 7086936
Fax: 00 353 1 7086952

> On 22 Jan 2019, at 11:57, Sebastian Schmutzhard  wrote:
>
> Alright. Seems so.
>
> changing in csnd::on_load
>  csnd::thread::ia
>  csnd::thread::ik
>
> and renaming aperf to kperf
> fixes that.
>
> So there are no aperf functions any more? Is that intended?
>

> On 22.01.19 12:37, Victor Lazzarini wrote:
>> I see. I think there was a change to unify aperf + kperf, and maybe that has caused an issue.
>> Can you try registering your opcode with the aperf function in the kperf ‘slot’ of the OENTRY
>> structure? See if that fixes it.
>>
>> ========================
>> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy,
>> Maynooth University,
>> Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
>> Tel: 00 353 7086936
>> Fax: 00 353 1 7086952
>>
>>> On 22 Jan 2019, at 11:10, Sebastian Schmutzhard  wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks for your reply!
>>> With the latest commit, Csound is building.
>>>
>>> I used the instructions from https://github.com/csound/csound/blob/develop/BUILD.md#debian
>>>
>>> I tested the simple oscil opcode, which is working.
>>>
>>> Running our plugin does not give any error messages, however it does not produce any output.
>>> What I could test is, that the init function is called, but aperf not.

Date2019-01-22 12:31
FromSebastian Schmutzhard
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Opcode Plugin stopped working
Cool, it works now.
Thank you very much,
Best wishes,
Sebastian