[Csnd-dev] Possible design for the online installer

Date2017-11-07 23:42
FromGuillermo Senna
Subject[Csnd-dev] Possible design for the online installer
Attachmentsinstaller1.png
Hi,

What do you think of the attached image regarding:

A) going forward with the Qt Installer Framework for building the installer?

B) the order and inclusion of: Preview for betas; Csound (current and
old releases); Frontends; ... ; Development Snapshots (for periodic
builds of each development branch)?

C) hotfixes? Unlisted in this image, but I'm thinking of treating them
just as regular stable releases. Is that OK? Frontends can recommend or
even force the user to update if they run the installer silently. Would
that be a good idea? Same question for betas.

Finally, csound.com/download can have: 1) an online installer without
any binary data inside; 2) a "heavy" offline installer including all the
latest software; 3) "lightweight" offline installers for each component;
4) a combination of [1+2] or [1+3], e.g., Csound + CsoundQt as part of
the installer, but with the possibility to download and install Cabbage
if that component is selected by the user.

Whatever is decided, and I don't want to upset Rory :) but should
CsoundQt be selected by default in the installer or should we leave that
up to the user?

Cheers.

Date2017-11-08 09:06
FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Possible design for the online installer

A) going forward with the Qt Installer Framework for building the installer?

B) the order and inclusion of: Preview for betas; Csound (current and
old releases); Frontends; ... ; Development Snapshots (for periodic
builds of each development branch)?

C) hotfixes? Unlisted in this image, but I'm thinking of treating them
just as regular stable releases. Is that OK? Frontends can recommend or
even force the user to update if they run the installer silently. Would
that be a good idea? Same question for betas.

This all sounds good. I think if people wish to use development snapshots for a frontends they can get them themselves. I'd be inclined to offer just one version of each package rather than several.

Finally, csound.com/download can have: 1) an online installer without
any binary data inside; 2) a "heavy" offline installer including all the
latest software; 3) "lightweight" offline installers for each component;
4) a combination of [1+2] or [1+3], e.g., Csound + CsoundQt as part of
the installer, but with the possibility to download and install Cabbage
if that component is selected by the user.

Personally I think we should just offer option 1 alongside a no-frills Csound installer that doesn't contain any frontends.

Whatever is decided, and I don't want to upset Rory :) but should
CsoundQt be selected by default in the installer or should we leave that
up to the user?

Don't worry Guillermo, the only think that upsets me is when people steel my beer! With regards to the structure of the installer, could the packages be listed as:

Core
- Csound

Frontends (3rd Part)
- CsoundQT
- Cabbage
- Blue
- Winxsound
- etc

I think it would help inform users that the various frontends offered aren't part of the official Csound project? I think this point needs to be emphasised. Overall this looks like a huge step forward. Thanks again for looking into it.

Date2017-11-08 09:26
FromTarmo Johannes
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Possible design for the online installer
Hi,

great preparations, Guillermo, thank you! I am very used to similar installer
for installing Qt itself and it is really comfortable system.

I thinnk the installer itself should be light, online installer -  nowadays
living offiline is not so typical (although healthy :) ).

I personaly like your solution where there are Preview and betas available  -
it is socomfortanle for users to get then newest versions and it is easy
enough to ditinguish between them.

I also agree with Rory that stucturing
Core - Csound / Frontends is good idea.

But the idea and plan are great -  I am sure when it gets done it is another
boost for Csound users to approach it more easily.

Thanks!

tarmo