Csound Csound-dev Csound-tekno Search About

[Csnd-dev] Csound on Bela - Where to start?

Date2017-10-13 14:02
FromAlex Hofmann
Subject[Csnd-dev] Csound on Bela - Where to start?
Hi,

I got a Bela/Beagle Bone board lately and discovered they have PD and SuperCollider installed. I consider the Bela hardware a serious alternative for the COSMO Project (instead of RPI), so I compiled non-rt Csound on it, which works. I can generate .wav files.

The next step would be that I would want to write a plugin like for JackAudio (rtjack.c) or PortAudio (rtpa.c) specifically for the Bela drivers which are not ALSA. I was wondering if any of you has written instructions about how to do this? I googled it a bit but didn't find anything, but I guess there must be something.. (Which functions need to be implemented, where to register such a plugin, how to make it a compiler option to compile against Portaudio, Jack, BELA ..)

Best wishes,

Date2017-10-13 14:18
FromVictor Lazzarini
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Csound on Bela - Where to start?
We had started work on it, but did not progress too far. There is some modification that we need to put into the code to make it run on the RT thread. It does need some knowledge of internals.

Victor Lazzarini
Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy
Maynooth University
Ireland

> On 13 Oct 2017, at 14:03, Alex Hofmann  wrote:
> 
> Hi,
> 
> I got a Bela/Beagle Bone board lately and discovered they have PD and SuperCollider installed. I consider the Bela hardware a serious alternative for the COSMO Project (instead of RPI), so I compiled non-rt Csound on it, which works. I can generate .wav files.
> 
> The next step would be that I would want to write a plugin like for JackAudio (rtjack.c) or PortAudio (rtpa.c) specifically for the Bela drivers which are not ALSA. I was wondering if any of you has written instructions about how to do this? I googled it a bit but didn't find anything, but I guess there must be something.. (Which functions need to be implemented, where to register such a plugin, how to make it a compiler option to compile against Portaudio, Jack, BELA ..)
> 
> Best wishes,
> 

Date2017-10-13 16:57
FromSteven Yi
We worked on it a bit with Bernt at last year's Csound 30 in Ireland.
I don't remember what approach we took, whether we used a plugin or if
we use Csound API and grabbed the samples from the engine.  We should
ask Bernt to chime in and send out whatever we all last worked on, and
can collaborate via Github.

On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 9:18 AM, Victor Lazzarini
 wrote:
> We had started work on it, but did not progress too far. There is some modification that we need to put into the code to make it run on the RT thread. It does need some knowledge of internals.
>
> Victor Lazzarini
> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy
> Maynooth University
> Ireland
>
>> On 13 Oct 2017, at 14:03, Alex Hofmann  wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I got a Bela/Beagle Bone board lately and discovered they have PD and SuperCollider installed. I consider the Bela hardware a serious alternative for the COSMO Project (instead of RPI), so I compiled non-rt Csound on it, which works. I can generate .wav files.
>>
>> The next step would be that I would want to write a plugin like for JackAudio (rtjack.c) or PortAudio (rtpa.c) specifically for the Bela drivers which are not ALSA. I was wondering if any of you has written instructions about how to do this? I googled it a bit but didn't find anything, but I guess there must be something.. (Which functions need to be implemented, where to register such a plugin, how to make it a compiler option to compile against Portaudio, Jack, BELA ..)
>>
>> Best wishes,
>>

Date2017-10-13 17:04
FromVictor Lazzarini
I have the code in my computer.

Victor Lazzarini
Maynooth University
Ireland

> On 13 Oct 2017, at 16:57, Steven Yi  wrote:
> 
> We worked on it a bit with Bernt at last year's Csound 30 in Ireland.
> I don't remember what approach we took, whether we used a plugin or if
> we use Csound API and grabbed the samples from the engine.  We should
> ask Bernt to chime in and send out whatever we all last worked on, and
> can collaborate via Github.
> 
> On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 9:18 AM, Victor Lazzarini
>  wrote:
>> We had started work on it, but did not progress too far. There is some modification that we need to put into the code to make it run on the RT thread. It does need some knowledge of internals.
>> 
>> Victor Lazzarini
>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy
>> Maynooth University
>> Ireland
>> 
>>> On 13 Oct 2017, at 14:03, Alex Hofmann  wrote:
>>> 
>>> Hi,
>>> 
>>> I got a Bela/Beagle Bone board lately and discovered they have PD and SuperCollider installed. I consider the Bela hardware a serious alternative for the COSMO Project (instead of RPI), so I compiled non-rt Csound on it, which works. I can generate .wav files.
>>> 
>>> The next step would be that I would want to write a plugin like for JackAudio (rtjack.c) or PortAudio (rtpa.c) specifically for the Bela drivers which are not ALSA. I was wondering if any of you has written instructions about how to do this? I googled it a bit but didn't find anything, but I guess there must be something.. (Which functions need to be implemented, where to register such a plugin, how to make it a compiler option to compile against Portaudio, Jack, BELA ..)
>>> 
>>> Best wishes,
>>> 

Date2017-10-13 17:09
FromSteven Yi
How about we create a bela branch then? (or a bela folder, whatever
works easier)

On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 12:04 PM, Victor Lazzarini
 wrote:
> I have the code in my computer.
>
> Victor Lazzarini
> Maynooth University
> Ireland
>
>> On 13 Oct 2017, at 16:57, Steven Yi  wrote:
>>
>> We worked on it a bit with Bernt at last year's Csound 30 in Ireland.
>> I don't remember what approach we took, whether we used a plugin or if
>> we use Csound API and grabbed the samples from the engine.  We should
>> ask Bernt to chime in and send out whatever we all last worked on, and
>> can collaborate via Github.
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 9:18 AM, Victor Lazzarini
>>  wrote:
>>> We had started work on it, but did not progress too far. There is some modification that we need to put into the code to make it run on the RT thread. It does need some knowledge of internals.
>>>
>>> Victor Lazzarini
>>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy
>>> Maynooth University
>>> Ireland
>>>
>>>> On 13 Oct 2017, at 14:03, Alex Hofmann  wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Hi,
>>>>
>>>> I got a Bela/Beagle Bone board lately and discovered they have PD and SuperCollider installed. I consider the Bela hardware a serious alternative for the COSMO Project (instead of RPI), so I compiled non-rt Csound on it, which works. I can generate .wav files.
>>>>
>>>> The next step would be that I would want to write a plugin like for JackAudio (rtjack.c) or PortAudio (rtpa.c) specifically for the Bela drivers which are not ALSA. I was wondering if any of you has written instructions about how to do this? I googled it a bit but didn't find anything, but I guess there must be something.. (Which functions need to be implemented, where to register such a plugin, how to make it a compiler option to compile against Portaudio, Jack, BELA ..)
>>>>
>>>> Best wishes,
>>>>

Date2017-10-13 18:24
FromVictor Lazzarini
I think both actually. I'll add a directory and start a branch. We'll need to remove all locks for starters.

Victor Lazzarini
Maynooth University
Ireland

> On 13 Oct 2017, at 17:09, Steven Yi  wrote:
> 
> How about we create a bela branch then? (or a bela folder, whatever
> works easier)
> 
> On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 12:04 PM, Victor Lazzarini
>  wrote:
>> I have the code in my computer.
>> 
>> Victor Lazzarini
>> Maynooth University
>> Ireland
>> 
>>> On 13 Oct 2017, at 16:57, Steven Yi  wrote:
>>> 
>>> We worked on it a bit with Bernt at last year's Csound 30 in Ireland.
>>> I don't remember what approach we took, whether we used a plugin or if
>>> we use Csound API and grabbed the samples from the engine.  We should
>>> ask Bernt to chime in and send out whatever we all last worked on, and
>>> can collaborate via Github.
>>> 
>>> On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 9:18 AM, Victor Lazzarini
>>>  wrote:
>>>> We had started work on it, but did not progress too far. There is some modification that we need to put into the code to make it run on the RT thread. It does need some knowledge of internals.
>>>> 
>>>> Victor Lazzarini
>>>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy
>>>> Maynooth University
>>>> Ireland
>>>> 
>>>>> On 13 Oct 2017, at 14:03, Alex Hofmann  wrote:
>>>>> 
>>>>> Hi,
>>>>> 
>>>>> I got a Bela/Beagle Bone board lately and discovered they have PD and SuperCollider installed. I consider the Bela hardware a serious alternative for the COSMO Project (instead of RPI), so I compiled non-rt Csound on it, which works. I can generate .wav files.
>>>>> 
>>>>> The next step would be that I would want to write a plugin like for JackAudio (rtjack.c) or PortAudio (rtpa.c) specifically for the Bela drivers which are not ALSA. I was wondering if any of you has written instructions about how to do this? I googled it a bit but didn't find anything, but I guess there must be something.. (Which functions need to be implemented, where to register such a plugin, how to make it a compiler option to compile against Portaudio, Jack, BELA ..)
>>>>> 
>>>>> Best wishes,
>>>>> 

Date2017-10-13 18:30
FromSteven Yi
There was some work already to remove locking (the no-op
implementation of csoundLock and related functions in Top/threads.c),
but I seem to remember needing to comment out the messages for Bernt.
Maybe we should get rid of that notImplementedWarning altogether and
just have one message at startup to report if Csound was compiled
without threads.

On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 1:24 PM, Victor Lazzarini
 wrote:
> I think both actually. I'll add a directory and start a branch. We'll need to remove all locks for starters.
>
> Victor Lazzarini
> Maynooth University
> Ireland
>
>> On 13 Oct 2017, at 17:09, Steven Yi  wrote:
>>
>> How about we create a bela branch then? (or a bela folder, whatever
>> works easier)
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 12:04 PM, Victor Lazzarini
>>  wrote:
>>> I have the code in my computer.
>>>
>>> Victor Lazzarini
>>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy
>>> Maynooth University
>>> Ireland
>>>
>>>> On 13 Oct 2017, at 16:57, Steven Yi  wrote:
>>>>
>>>> We worked on it a bit with Bernt at last year's Csound 30 in Ireland.
>>>> I don't remember what approach we took, whether we used a plugin or if
>>>> we use Csound API and grabbed the samples from the engine.  We should
>>>> ask Bernt to chime in and send out whatever we all last worked on, and
>>>> can collaborate via Github.
>>>>
>>>> On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 9:18 AM, Victor Lazzarini
>>>>  wrote:
>>>>> We had started work on it, but did not progress too far. There is some modification that we need to put into the code to make it run on the RT thread. It does need some knowledge of internals.
>>>>>
>>>>> Victor Lazzarini
>>>>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy
>>>>> Maynooth University
>>>>> Ireland
>>>>>
>>>>>> On 13 Oct 2017, at 14:03, Alex Hofmann  wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Hi,
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I got a Bela/Beagle Bone board lately and discovered they have PD and SuperCollider installed. I consider the Bela hardware a serious alternative for the COSMO Project (instead of RPI), so I compiled non-rt Csound on it, which works. I can generate .wav files.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> The next step would be that I would want to write a plugin like for JackAudio (rtjack.c) or PortAudio (rtpa.c) specifically for the Bela drivers which are not ALSA. I was wondering if any of you has written instructions about how to do this? I googled it a bit but didn't find anything, but I guess there must be something.. (Which functions need to be implemented, where to register such a plugin, how to make it a compiler option to compile against Portaudio, Jack, BELA ..)
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Best wishes,
>>>>>>

Date2017-10-14 14:08
FromAlex Hofmann
Thanks for your replies. I contacted Bernt and he told me that he has a running version on his Bela but with some small problems. Creating a branch is great and if I can help I'm happy to do so (at least build and test).

Best,
Alex

> Am 13.10.2017 um 19:30 schrieb Steven Yi :
> 
> There was some work already to remove locking (the no-op
> implementation of csoundLock and related functions in Top/threads.c),
> but I seem to remember needing to comment out the messages for Bernt.
> Maybe we should get rid of that notImplementedWarning altogether and
> just have one message at startup to report if Csound was compiled
> without threads.
> 
> On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 1:24 PM, Victor Lazzarini
>  wrote:
>> I think both actually. I'll add a directory and start a branch. We'll need to remove all locks for starters.
>> 
>> Victor Lazzarini
>> Maynooth University
>> Ireland
>> 
>>> On 13 Oct 2017, at 17:09, Steven Yi  wrote:
>>> 
>>> How about we create a bela branch then? (or a bela folder, whatever
>>> works easier)
>>> 
>>> On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 12:04 PM, Victor Lazzarini
>>>  wrote:
>>>> I have the code in my computer.
>>>> 
>>>> Victor Lazzarini
>>>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy
>>>> Maynooth University
>>>> Ireland
>>>> 
>>>>> On 13 Oct 2017, at 16:57, Steven Yi  wrote:
>>>>> 
>>>>> We worked on it a bit with Bernt at last year's Csound 30 in Ireland.
>>>>> I don't remember what approach we took, whether we used a plugin or if
>>>>> we use Csound API and grabbed the samples from the engine.  We should
>>>>> ask Bernt to chime in and send out whatever we all last worked on, and
>>>>> can collaborate via Github.
>>>>> 
>>>>> On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 9:18 AM, Victor Lazzarini
>>>>>  wrote:
>>>>>> We had started work on it, but did not progress too far. There is some modification that we need to put into the code to make it run on the RT thread. It does need some knowledge of internals.
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> Victor Lazzarini
>>>>>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy
>>>>>> Maynooth University
>>>>>> Ireland
>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> On 13 Oct 2017, at 14:03, Alex Hofmann  wrote:
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> Hi,
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> I got a Bela/Beagle Bone board lately and discovered they have PD and SuperCollider installed. I consider the Bela hardware a serious alternative for the COSMO Project (instead of RPI), so I compiled non-rt Csound on it, which works. I can generate .wav files.
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> The next step would be that I would want to write a plugin like for JackAudio (rtjack.c) or PortAudio (rtpa.c) specifically for the Bela drivers which are not ALSA. I was wondering if any of you has written instructions about how to do this? I googled it a bit but didn't find anything, but I guess there must be something.. (Which functions need to be implemented, where to register such a plugin, how to make it a compiler option to compile against Portaudio, Jack, BELA ..)
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> Best wishes,
>>>>>>>