[Csnd-dev] manual for fout

Date2016-10-11 15:56
Fromjpff
Subject[Csnd-dev] manual for fout
Currently says
      Notice that fout and foutk can use
      either a string containing a file pathname, or a handle-number
      generated by fiopen.

f the part about fiopen is removed then there is no way of creating a
handle and so fout.i opcode can never happen.  Or we need to add
options to fiopen to create _W files

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] manual for fout
Neither fout nor foutk can take a handle from fiopen currently, so we just
remove that notice.

> On 11 Oct 2016, at 15:56, jpff  wrote:
>
> Currently says
>      Notice that fout and       linkend="foutk">foutk can use
>      either a string containing a file pathname, or a handle-number
>      generated by       linkend="fiopen">fiopen.
>
> f the part about fiopen is removed then there is no way of creating a
> handle and so fout.i opcode can never happen.  Or we need to add
> options to fiopen to create _W files

Date2016-10-11 17:01
Fromjpff
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] manual for fout
And the code -- fout.i can never work asit takesa andle and there is no
way  of creating a CSFILE_SND_W file outside fout.

On Tue, 11 Oct 2016, Victor Lazzarini wrote:

> Neither fout nor foutk can take a handle from fiopen currently, so we just
> remove that notice.
>

>> On 11 Oct 2016, at 15:56, jpff  wrote:
>>
>> Currently says
>>      Notice that fout and >      linkend="foutk">foutk can use
>>      either a string containing a file pathname, or a handle-number
>>      generated by >      linkend="fiopen">fiopen.
>>
>> f the part about fiopen is removed then there is no way of creating a
>> handle and so fout.i opcode can never happen.  Or we need to add
>> options to fiopen to create _W files
>>
>> ==John ffitch

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] manual for fout
Just for reference, the code from Csound 5 can be viewed here:

https://github.com/csound/csound/blob/csound5_17_3/Opcodes/fout.c

in case that's useful to compare.

I tried to spend a little time with gdb. If I put in a break at
fout_open_file, then bt, I get:

#0  fout_open_file (csound=csound@entry=0xd40080, p=p@entry=0x0,
    fp=fp@entry=0x66fc68, fileType=fileType@entry=3, iFile=0x3df2558,
    isString=isString@entry=1, fileParams=0x6c7d63df ,
    forceSync=forceSync@entry=1)
    at C:/msys64/home/stevenyi/work/csound/csound/Opcodes/fout.c:75
#1  0x000000006c611337 in fiopen_ (csound=0xd40080, p=0x3dffe28, istring=1)
    at C:/msys64/home/stevenyi/work/csound/csound/Opcodes/fout.c:620
#2  0x000000006c511079 in init0 (csound=csound@entry=0xd40080)

The error occurs before outfile_set is even called.  It's somewhat
bizarre, if I comment out fout in the CSD, the fiopen call works.  If
I put it back in, fiopen fails.

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 12:01 PM, jpff  wrote:
> And the code -- fout.i can never work asit takesa andle and there is no way
> of creating a CSFILE_SND_W file outside fout.
>

> On Tue, 11 Oct 2016, Victor Lazzarini wrote:
>
>> Neither fout nor foutk can take a handle from fiopen currently, so we just
>> remove that notice.
>>

>>> On 11 Oct 2016, at 15:56, jpff  wrote:
>>>
>>> Currently says
>>>      Notice that fout and >>      linkend="foutk">foutk can use
>>>      either a string containing a file pathname, or a handle-number
>>>      generated by >>      linkend="fiopen">fiopen.
>>>
>>> f the part about fiopen is removed then there is no way of creating a
>>> handle and so fout.i opcode can never happen.  Or we need to add
>>> options to fiopen to create _W files
>>>
>>> ==John ffitch

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] manual for fout
Sorry, I realize now the error has to do with textXXXX.aiff already
existing after the previous run. When I delete that and restart I do
get into outfile_set.

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 12:43 PM, Steven Yi  wrote:
> Just for reference, the code from Csound 5 can be viewed here:
>
> https://github.com/csound/csound/blob/csound5_17_3/Opcodes/fout.c
>
> in case that's useful to compare.
>
> I tried to spend a little time with gdb. If I put in a break at
> fout_open_file, then bt, I get:
>
> #0  fout_open_file (csound=csound@entry=0xd40080, p=p@entry=0x0,
>     fp=fp@entry=0x66fc68, fileType=fileType@entry=3, iFile=0x3df2558,
>     isString=isString@entry=1, fileParams=0x6c7d63df ,
>     forceSync=forceSync@entry=1)
>     at C:/msys64/home/stevenyi/work/csound/csound/Opcodes/fout.c:75
> #1  0x000000006c611337 in fiopen_ (csound=0xd40080, p=0x3dffe28, istring=1)
>     at C:/msys64/home/stevenyi/work/csound/csound/Opcodes/fout.c:620
> #2  0x000000006c511079 in init0 (csound=csound@entry=0xd40080)
>
> The error occurs before outfile_set is even called.  It's somewhat
> bizarre, if I comment out fout in the CSD, the fiopen call works.  If
> I put it back in, fiopen fails.
>
> On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 12:01 PM, jpff  wrote:
>> And the code -- fout.i can never work asit takesa andle and there is no way
>> of creating a CSFILE_SND_W file outside fout.
>>

>> On Tue, 11 Oct 2016, Victor Lazzarini wrote:
>>
>>> Neither fout nor foutk can take a handle from fiopen currently, so we just
>>> remove that notice.

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] manual for fout
I went back a bit further and fout from csound 5.00:

https://github.com/csound/csound/blob/csound-5.00.0/Opcodes/fout.c

Did not call fout_open_file when a filehandle was given. Perhaps that
changed somewhere and that's causing the issues now?

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 12:54 PM, Steven Yi  wrote:
> Sorry, I realize now the error has to do with textXXXX.aiff already
> existing after the previous run. When I delete that and restart I do
> get into outfile_set.
>
> On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 12:43 PM, Steven Yi  wrote:
>> Just for reference, the code from Csound 5 can be viewed here:
>>
>> https://github.com/csound/csound/blob/csound5_17_3/Opcodes/fout.c
>>
>> in case that's useful to compare.
>>
>> I tried to spend a little time with gdb. If I put in a break at
>> fout_open_file, then bt, I get:
>>
>> #0  fout_open_file (csound=csound@entry=0xd40080, p=p@entry=0x0,
>>     fp=fp@entry=0x66fc68, fileType=fileType@entry=3, iFile=0x3df2558,
>>     isString=isString@entry=1, fileParams=0x6c7d63df ,
>>     forceSync=forceSync@entry=1)
>>     at C:/msys64/home/stevenyi/work/csound/csound/Opcodes/fout.c:75
>> #1  0x000000006c611337 in fiopen_ (csound=0xd40080, p=0x3dffe28, istring=1)
>>     at C:/msys64/home/stevenyi/work/csound/csound/Opcodes/fout.c:620
>> #2  0x000000006c511079 in init0 (csound=csound@entry=0xd40080)
>>
>> The error occurs before outfile_set is even called.  It's somewhat
>> bizarre, if I comment out fout in the CSD, the fiopen call works.  If
>> I put it back in, fiopen fails.
>>
>> On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 12:01 PM, jpff  wrote:
>>> And the code -- fout.i can never work asit takesa andle and there is no way
>>> of creating a CSFILE_SND_W file outside fout.

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] manual for fout
This code will behave exactly as the current
in this respect. So no changes from 5 to 6
prompted the behaviour.

Victor Lazzarini

> On 11 Oct 2016, at 17:44, Steven Yi  wrote:
>
> Just for reference, the code from Csound 5 can be viewed here:
>
> https://github.com/csound/csound/blob/csound5_17_3/Opcodes/fout.c
>
> in case that's useful to compare.
>
> I tried to spend a little time with gdb. If I put in a break at
> fout_open_file, then bt, I get:
>
> #0  fout_open_file (csound=csound@entry=0xd40080, p=p@entry=0x0,
>    fp=fp@entry=0x66fc68, fileType=fileType@entry=3, iFile=0x3df2558,
>    isString=isString@entry=1, fileParams=0x6c7d63df ,
>    forceSync=forceSync@entry=1)
>    at C:/msys64/home/stevenyi/work/csound/csound/Opcodes/fout.c:75
> #1  0x000000006c611337 in fiopen_ (csound=0xd40080, p=0x3dffe28, istring=1)
>    at C:/msys64/home/stevenyi/work/csound/csound/Opcodes/fout.c:620
> #2  0x000000006c511079 in init0 (csound=csound@entry=0xd40080)
>
> The error occurs before outfile_set is even called.  It's somewhat
> bizarre, if I comment out fout in the CSD, the fiopen call works.  If
> I put it back in, fiopen fails.
>
>> On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 12:01 PM, jpff  wrote:
>> And the code -- fout.i can never work asit takesa andle and there is no way
>> of creating a CSFILE_SND_W file outside fout.
>>

>>> On Tue, 11 Oct 2016, Victor Lazzarini wrote:
>>>
>>> Neither fout nor foutk can take a handle from fiopen currently, so we just
>>> remove that notice.

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] manual for fout
Yes, the 5.17 code is not different, but the 5.00 code does appear to
have different behavior.

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 2:06 PM, Victor Lazzarini
 wrote:
> This code will behave exactly as the current
> in this respect. So no changes from 5 to 6
> prompted the behaviour.
>
> Victor Lazzarini
>
>> On 11 Oct 2016, at 17:44, Steven Yi  wrote:
>>
>> Just for reference, the code from Csound 5 can be viewed here:
>>
>> https://github.com/csound/csound/blob/csound5_17_3/Opcodes/fout.c
>>
>> in case that's useful to compare.
>>
>> I tried to spend a little time with gdb. If I put in a break at
>> fout_open_file, then bt, I get:
>>
>> #0  fout_open_file (csound=csound@entry=0xd40080, p=p@entry=0x0,
>>    fp=fp@entry=0x66fc68, fileType=fileType@entry=3, iFile=0x3df2558,
>>    isString=isString@entry=1, fileParams=0x6c7d63df ,
>>    forceSync=forceSync@entry=1)
>>    at C:/msys64/home/stevenyi/work/csound/csound/Opcodes/fout.c:75
>> #1  0x000000006c611337 in fiopen_ (csound=0xd40080, p=0x3dffe28, istring=1)
>>    at C:/msys64/home/stevenyi/work/csound/csound/Opcodes/fout.c:620
>> #2  0x000000006c511079 in init0 (csound=csound@entry=0xd40080)
>>
>> The error occurs before outfile_set is even called.  It's somewhat
>> bizarre, if I comment out fout in the CSD, the fiopen call works.  If
>> I put it back in, fiopen fails.
>>
>>> On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 12:01 PM, jpff  wrote:
>>> And the code -- fout.i can never work asit takesa andle and there is no way
>>> of creating a CSFILE_SND_W file outside fout.

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] manual for fout
yes, this is different. If you open with fiopen,
fout will use this and write to the std file
(not a soundfile).

Victor Lazzarini