Csound Csound-dev Csound-tekno Search About

[Csnd-dev] Building Csound 7.0 on Ubuntu

Date2022-02-07 14:43
FromFrancois PINOT
Subject[Csnd-dev] Building Csound 7.0 on Ubuntu
I just built Csound 7.0 on Ubuntu 20.04. I had some trouble with the RT audio drivers. The solution was to delete an OPCODE6DIR64 environment variable remaining from an old Csound 6 build.

Then I tried to build the plugins. I had to add manually the file OpcodeBase.hpp into /usr/local/include/csound which is the source directory for the csound include files when building on Ubuntu. Finally the sudo make install command sent the plugins into /usr/local/lib/csound/plugins64-6.0. I had to move the so files from /usr/local/lib/csound/plugins64-6.0 to /usr/local/lib/csound/plugins64-7.0. I did not actually change anything to the plugins repository on github because some people might still use it to build plugins for Csound 6.

Everything seems to work now.

François

Date2022-02-07 14:49
FromVictor Lazzarini
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd-dev] Building Csound 7.0 on Ubuntu
Hi François,

with the changes I made to the plugins and csound repositories you should be able to build all plugins now without moving any headers. Could you try this? If it fails could you let me know where?

Thanks
Victor

On 7 Feb 2022, at 14:43, Francois PINOT <fggpinot@gmail.com> wrote:

*Warning*

This email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.
I just built Csound 7.0 on Ubuntu 20.04. I had some trouble with the RT audio drivers. The solution was to delete an OPCODE6DIR64 environment variable remaining from an old Csound 6 build.

Then I tried to build the plugins. I had to add manually the file OpcodeBase.hpp into /usr/local/include/csound which is the source directory for the csound include files when building on Ubuntu. Finally the sudo make install command sent the plugins into /usr/local/lib/csound/plugins64-6.0. I had to move the so files from /usr/local/lib/csound/plugins64-6.0 to /usr/local/lib/csound/plugins64-7.0. I did not actually change anything to the plugins repository on github because some people might still use it to build plugins for Csound 6.

François

Date2022-02-07 14:49
FromTarmo Johannes
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Building Csound 7.0 on Ubuntu
Thanks for the hints!

I wonder what is the best way to keep parallel versions? I guess not to install Csound 7 to system, set the OPCODE6DIR64 in the shell to the cs7 build dir and run it from there? Should there be some kind of naming difference to avoid the collisions that are kkjely to happen for many users?

Greetings, 
Tarmo

E, 7. veebruar 2022 16:44 Francois PINOT <fggpinot@gmail.com> kirjutas:

François

Date2022-02-07 14:55
FromVictor Lazzarini
I think the safest thing is probably  a docker container as suggested by Dave.

We have only started developing 7.0, so there will be changes in variable names, like OPCODE6DIR64, which will become OPCODE7DIR64 etc.
For the moment, users who are not entirely sure what they are doing should just use the code from master.

We may consider making master the default branch for now. Not sure whether it's a good idea or not.

On 7 Feb 2022, at 14:49, Tarmo Johannes <trmjhnns@GMAIL.COM> wrote:

*Warning*

This email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.
Thanks for the hints!

I wonder what is the best way to keep parallel versions? I guess not to install Csound 7 to system, set the OPCODE6DIR64 in the shell to the cs7 build dir and run it from there? Should there be some kind of naming difference to avoid the collisions that are kkjely to happen for many users?

Greetings, 
Tarmo

François

Date2022-02-07 15:01
FromTarmo Johannes
Master or csound6 as default branch saves definitely a lot of hassle, I think.
Tarmo

E, 7. veebruar 2022 16:55 Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> kirjutas:
I think the safest thing is probably  a docker container as suggested by Dave.

We have only started developing 7.0, so there will be changes in variable names, like OPCODE6DIR64, which will become OPCODE7DIR64 etc.
For the moment, users who are not entirely sure what they are doing should just use the code from master.

We may consider making master the default branch for now. Not sure whether it's a good idea or not.

*Warning*

Thanks for the hints!

Greetings, 
Tarmo

François

Date2022-02-07 15:03
FromVictor Lazzarini
By the way, there are no "collisions" to speak of, the opcodes built for 6 will not load on 7. I presume that's the case also 7 vs 6 (although I need to check).
So you can have them installed side by side on the same place if you want (but some renaming will be needed).

Anyway, I have pushed an update where OPCODE7DIR64 and OPCODE7DIR are now used for 7.0.

Victor

*Warning*

Thanks for the hints!

Greetings, 
Tarmo

François

Date2022-02-07 15:10
FromFrancois PINOT
Ok, the plugins are built correctly now without having the need to add headers. Still have to move the generated so files from /usr/local/lib/csound/plugins64-6.0 to /usr/local/lib/csound/plugins64-7.0 to have them detected by Csound 7, but I think we should not change this for now because people may still need to build the plugins for Csound 6...

As I don't need to have both Csound 6 and Csound 7 on my systems I don't have to find a solution for sharing versions. But in the case I had to, I should probably use the docker solution...

François

Le lun. 7 févr. 2022 à 15:49, Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> a écrit :
Hi François,

with the changes I made to the plugins and csound repositories you should be able to build all plugins now without moving any headers. Could you try this? If it fails could you let me know where?

Thanks
Victor

On 7 Feb 2022, at 14:43, Francois PINOT <fggpinot@gmail.com> wrote:

*Warning*

François