[Csnd-dev] Csound Github project reorganisation

Subject[Csnd-dev] Csound Github project reorganisation
Dear all,

I’d like to put to a vote here a proposal for reorganising the Csound Github project to
make it easier for development and collaboration.

The background to this is that the state of the main Csound library repo has become somewhat
unwieldy and bloated. This is a legacy of the way we used to organise the project historically,
first in a single tree under John’s curation, then in the CVS repo, which was also a single tree.
Moving to git helped things, but we mainly continued in the old mode of operation by
piling stuff in the single tree, even after moving to github and its mulitple repository
support.

It is true that some new projects in areas like documentation and help were created
in separate repos, but we continued mostly to put things into one tree, mostly one build,
and as things grew, we are in a impossible state.

So here is my proposal. We move a number of subsidiary projects out of the main
repo into separate (our group repos). In the csound.git repo, we keep mostly the
main library for all platforms, the interfaces library, the CLI frontend and debugger, the opcodes,
and associated test routines. We move out everything else.

This means that, in the first instance, following would go to separate repos

Csound6~
Csound~
csladspa
CsoundAC
CsoundVST
CS6Editor
winsound
nwjs
icsound
beats
Csound Android App

It does not mean we have to have a separate repo for each, but some bigger
projects might do.

Additionally, we move the installer scripts to a separate repo and re-work the scripts
to pull from the main Csound and other relevant places. In the repos, we will
rework the CMake scripts to pull from csound.git and build.

This would have the advantage of streamlining the library build and testing, help us to
focus on projects separately, and generally tidy up the process. I think this is
ultimately a requirement for us to start proper development of Csound 7.

Alongside this, we want to simplify the mechanism for third-party
components to be used in Csound without having to be maintained in the
project.

So I would like to propose this for a vote. If we make the decision, then we
can spend some time re-arranging things and testing the builds, then do
a final 6.11 release using the new mechanisms, which would be the final
non-bugfix release of 6.x.

Please vote on your preference: (a) changes (b) keep the status quo.

best

Date2018-01-17 09:26
FromOeyvind Brandtsegg
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Csound Github project reorganisation
This looks good to me.
(a) changes

[...]

Victor

FromFrancois PINOT
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Csound Github project reorganisation
I vote for the (a) option.

François

[...]

Date2018-01-17 10:11
FromHlöðver Sigurðsson
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Csound Github project reorganisation
I vote for (a), with these in seperate trees it would look to me cleaner.

On 17 January 2018 at 10:37, Francois PINOT <fggpinot@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

I think (a) is a good idea.

I don't think this will save work for us as a team, quite the contrary at least in the short term, but I think some separation of concerns would definitely be helpful in the longer term.

Would Csound be used in these other projects as a Git submodule? Or just as an installed library? If not what mechanism would be used to integrate things?

Would CsoundQt or Cabbage or other projects be brought into the Csound group?

Regards,
Mike

On Jan 17, 2018 4:37 AM, "Francois PINOT" <fggpinot@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

I would have thought that the best solution would be for the projects to pull from the main Csound repo
in their build scripts (e.g. CMake). That way it is possible to keep them in sync more closely. The exact
mechanism can be discussed and we may look to other projects for models.

I don’t think, that in principle, CsoundQT and Cabbage necessarily need to be moved under the
Csound project; in fact, it might good to encourage more third-party projects using the library.

In terms of visibility, some projects that are under Csound might even benefit to be moved into
their own github project, as they can then have their own web resources, independent releases
etc. It may help their promotion and adoption, and I would feel that is something to be considered
by their main developers/contributors.

Maynooth University,
Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
Tel: 00 353 7086936
Fax: 00 353 1 7086952

> [...]
> rework the CMake scripts to pull from csound.git and build.
>
> This would have the advantage of streamlining the library build and testing, help us to
> focus on projects separately, and generally tidy up the process. I think this is
> ultimately a requirement for us to start proper development of Csound 7.
>
> Alongside this, we want to simplify the mechanism for third-party
> components to be used in Csound without having to be maintained in the
> project.
>
> So I would like to propose this for a vote. If we make the decision, then we
> can spend some time re-arranging things and testing the builds, then do
> a final 6.11 release using the new mechanisms, which would be the final
> non-bugfix release of 6.x.
>
> Please vote on your preference: (a) changes (b) keep the status quo.

Date2018-01-17 11:45
FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Csound Github project reorganisation
I think (a) sounds good.

On 17 Jan 2018 11:03 a.m., "Victor Lazzarini" <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
> [...]

> This would have the advantage of streamlining the library build and testing, help us to
> focus on projects separately, and generally tidy up the process. I think this is
> ultimately a requirement for us to start proper development of Csound 7.
>
> Alongside this, we want to simplify the mechanism for third-party
> components to be used in Csound without having to be maintained in the
> project.
>
> So I would like to propose this for a vote. If we make the decision, then we
> can spend some time re-arranging things and testing the builds, then do
> a final 6.11 release using the new mechanisms, which would be the final
> non-bugfix release of 6.x.
>
> Please vote on your preference: (a) changes (b) keep the status quo.
>
> best
>
> Victor

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Csound Github project reorganisation

+1 (a)

On Wed, Jan 17, 2018, 06:45 Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@ear.ie> wrote:
> [...]

> rework the CMake scripts to pull from csound.git and build.
>
> This would have the advantage of streamlining the library build and testing, help us to
> focus on projects separately, and generally tidy up the process. I think this is
> ultimately a requirement for us to start proper development of Csound 7.
>
> Alongside this, we want to simplify the mechanism for third-party
> components to be used in Csound without having to be maintained in the
> project.
>
> So I would like to propose this for a vote. If we make the decision, then we
> can spend some time re-arranging things and testing the builds, then do
> a final 6.11 release using the new mechanisms, which would be the final
> non-bugfix release of 6.x.
>
> Please vote on your preference: (a) changes (b) keep the status quo.

Date2018-01-17 12:44
FromDave Seidel
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Csound Github project reorganisation
(a)

On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 6:53 AM, Steven Yi <stevenyi@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]

> rework the CMake scripts to pull from csound.git and build.
>
> This would have the advantage of streamlining the library build and testing, help us to
> focus on projects separately, and generally tidy up the process. I think this is
> ultimately a requirement for us to start proper development of Csound 7.
>
> Alongside this, we want to simplify the mechanism for third-party
> components to be used in Csound without having to be maintained in the
> project.
>
> So I would like to propose this for a vote. If we make the decision, then we
> can spend some time re-arranging things and testing the builds, then do
> a final 6.11 release using the new mechanisms, which would be the final
> non-bugfix release of 6.x.
>
> Please vote on your preference: (a) changes (b) keep the status quo.

FromStephen Kyne
> [...]

> rework the CMake scripts to pull from csound.git and build.
>
> This would have the advantage of streamlining the library build and testing, help us to
> focus on projects separately, and generally tidy up the process. I think this is
> ultimately a requirement for us to start proper development of Csound 7.
>
> Alongside this, we want to simplify the mechanism for third-party
> components to be used in Csound without having to be maintained in the
> project.
>
> So I would like to propose this for a vote. If we make the decision, then we
> can spend some time re-arranging things and testing the builds, then do
> a final 6.11 release using the new mechanisms, which would be the final
> non-bugfix release of 6.x.
>
> Please vote on your preference: (a) changes (b) keep the status quo.

FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Csound Github project reorganisation
I would have thought that the best solution would be for the projects to pull from the main Csound repo
in their build scripts (e.g. CMake). That way it is possible to keep them in sync more closely. The exact
mechanism can be discussed and we may look to other projects for models.

This is what Cabbage does now. It simply clones the latest Csound and links to it each time it is built. It's trivial and easy to implement in continuous integration likes Travis and Appveyor. Of course this works fine for a project that was never part of the Csound code base. Not sure how it will affect those that have been until now.

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Csound Github project reorganisation
Regarding integration, I think agreeing on how to do it and setting a
clear pattern is much more important than the details of how it is
done.

Regards,

On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 8:49 AM, Rory Walsh  wrote:

> This is what Cabbage does now. It simply clones the latest Csound and links
> to it each time it is built. It's trivial and easy to implement in
> continuous integration likes Travis and Appveyor. Of course this works fine
> for a project that was never part of the Csound code base. Not sure how it

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Csound Github project reorganisation
Thanks, Rory, we can look at this as a model.

Victor Lazzarini

On 17 Jan 2018, at 13:50, Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@EAR.IE> wrote:

I would have thought that the best solution would be for the projects to pull from the main Csound repo
in their build scripts (e.g. CMake). That way it is possible to keep them in sync more closely. The exact
mechanism can be discussed and we may look to other projects for models.

This is what Cabbage does now. It simply clones the latest Csound and links to it each time it is built. It's trivial and easy to implement in continuous integration likes Travis and Appveyor. Of course this works fine for a project that was never part of the Csound code base. Not sure how it will affect those that have been until now.

Date2018-01-17 14:34
FromJohn ff
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Csound Github project reorganisation
I am not sure how the workflow is supposed to work with the (a) model.  Explicitly I have been responsible for alcohols of the proposed new repositories and parts of the core.  What should my directory structure be?  I really do not want multiple copies.  I understand the current system but will need instructions for the proposed scheme.

Two other questions: how do we ensure that users know where to open issues (for example what should the mailing list footer say?).

And how does the release synchronisation work?

⁣Sent from TypeApp ​

On Jan 17, 2018, 13:50, at 13:50, Rory Walsh  wrote:

>> I would have thought that the best solution would be for the projects
>keep
>models.
>>>>>

>This is what Cabbage does now. It simply clones the latest Csound and
>links
>to it each time it is built. It's trivial and easy to implement in
>continuous integration likes Travis and Appveyor. Of course this works
>fine
>for a project that was never part of the Csound code base. Not sure how
>it
>will affect those that have been

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Csound Github project reorganisation
In terms of workflow, for stable code such as Winsound and beats, it might be the case that
the CMake script may have Csound as a dependency. Such projects would not need to be built
regularly if they link dynamically to Csound (only in the case of an ABI break).

Most of the focus of issues will remain within the Csound project (anything to do with the
language, opcodes, performance) and we will have to redirect any frontend-specific
issues to their relevant trackers as we already do.