[Csnd-dev] CsoundQt

Date2017-10-09 22:56
FromPeter Burgess
Subject[Csnd-dev] CsoundQt
Hi guys, I'm trying once again to build CsoundQt. I've cleaned the Qt
project folder, cloned the develop branch and followed the
instructions to make it. I have Qt5.9. I am once again getting errors:

src/qutecsound.cpp:2103:43: error: no ‘void
CsoundQt::setHtmlFullScreen(bool)’ member function declared in class
‘CsoundQt’
 void CsoundQt::setHtmlFullScreen(bool full)
                                           ^
src/qutecsound.cpp: In member function ‘void
CsoundQt::showVirtualKeyboard(bool)’:
src/qutecsound.cpp:2175:41: warning: unused parameter ‘show’
[-Wunused-parameter]
 void CsoundQt::showVirtualKeyboard(bool show)
                                         ^~~~
src/qutecsound.cpp: In member function ‘void CsoundQt::showTableEditor(bool)’:
src/qutecsound.cpp:2201:37: warning: unused parameter ‘show’
[-Wunused-parameter]
 void CsoundQt::showTableEditor(bool show)
                                     ^~~~
src/qutecsound.cpp: In member function ‘void CsoundQt::showHtml5Gui(bool)’:
src/qutecsound.cpp:2265:34: warning: unused parameter ‘show’
[-Wunused-parameter]
 void CsoundQt::showHtml5Gui(bool show)
                                  ^~~~
make: *** [build/doubles/obj/qutecsound.o] Error 1

I've tried wiping the folder, recloning and rebuilding twice, to no
avail. Any thoughts what's up here?

Pete

--
http://algorythmradio.com

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] CsoundQt
Hi Pete,

appropriate than this list.

steven

On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 5:56 PM, Peter Burgess
 wrote:
> Hi guys, I'm trying once again to build CsoundQt. I've cleaned the Qt
> project folder, cloned the develop branch and followed the
> instructions to make it. I have Qt5.9. I am once again getting errors:
>
> src/qutecsound.cpp:2103:43: error: no ‘void
> CsoundQt::setHtmlFullScreen(bool)’ member function declared in class
> ‘CsoundQt’
>  void CsoundQt::setHtmlFullScreen(bool full)
>                                            ^
> src/qutecsound.cpp: In member function ‘void
> CsoundQt::showVirtualKeyboard(bool)’:
> src/qutecsound.cpp:2175:41: warning: unused parameter ‘show’
> [-Wunused-parameter]
>  void CsoundQt::showVirtualKeyboard(bool show)
>                                          ^~~~
> src/qutecsound.cpp: In member function ‘void CsoundQt::showTableEditor(bool)’:
> src/qutecsound.cpp:2201:37: warning: unused parameter ‘show’
> [-Wunused-parameter]
>  void CsoundQt::showTableEditor(bool show)
>                                      ^~~~
> src/qutecsound.cpp: In member function ‘void CsoundQt::showHtml5Gui(bool)’:
> src/qutecsound.cpp:2265:34: warning: unused parameter ‘show’
> [-Wunused-parameter]
>  void CsoundQt::showHtml5Gui(bool show)
>                                   ^~~~
> make: *** [build/doubles/obj/qutecsound.o] Error 1
>
> I've tried wiping the folder, recloning and rebuilding twice, to no
> avail. Any thoughts what's up here?
>
> Pete
>
> --
> http://algorythmradio.com

Date2017-10-10 11:55
FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] CsoundQt
As long as we bundle CsoundQT with Csound, we have to expect users will continue to ask questions about it here and on the Csound project github page. It's bundled with Csound, it has Csound in its name, is it not time it became an official part of the Csound project? Maybe something to consider for Csound7?

On 10 October 2017 at 01:02, Steven Yi <stevenyi@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Pete,

Perhaps you should email the CsoundQT mailing list? Seems more

<pete.soundtechnician@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys, I'm trying once again to build CsoundQt. I've cleaned the Qt
> project folder, cloned the develop branch and followed the
> instructions to make it. I have Qt5.9. I am once again getting errors:
>
> src/qutecsound.cpp:2103:43: error: no ‘void
> CsoundQt::setHtmlFullScreen(bool)’ member function declared in class
> ‘CsoundQt’
>  void CsoundQt::setHtmlFullScreen(bool full)
>                                            ^
> src/qutecsound.cpp: In member function ‘void
> CsoundQt::showVirtualKeyboard(bool)’:
> src/qutecsound.cpp:2175:41: warning: unused parameter ‘show’
> [-Wunused-parameter]
>  void CsoundQt::showVirtualKeyboard(bool show)
>                                          ^~~~
> src/qutecsound.cpp: In member function ‘void CsoundQt::showTableEditor(bool)’:
> src/qutecsound.cpp:2201:37: warning: unused parameter ‘show’
> [-Wunused-parameter]
>  void CsoundQt::showTableEditor(bool show)
>                                      ^~~~
> src/qutecsound.cpp: In member function ‘void CsoundQt::showHtml5Gui(bool)’:
> src/qutecsound.cpp:2265:34: warning: unused parameter ‘show’
> [-Wunused-parameter]
>  void CsoundQt::showHtml5Gui(bool show)
>                                   ^~~~
> make: *** [build/doubles/obj/qutecsound.o] Error 1
>
> I've tried wiping the folder, recloning and rebuilding twice, to no
> avail. Any thoughts what's up here?
>
> Pete
>
> --
> http://algorythmradio.com
> https://soundcloud.com/algorythmradio

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] CsoundQt
We might expect people to ask questions about CsoundQT building here,
but CsoundQT is currently developed and discussed on the CsoundQT
mailing list, yes?  So Pete would probably get the best results by
asking his CsoundQT build-related questions there. (Makes sense to me
at least to go to where the expert knowledge is.)

As for discussing whether CsoundQT should be integrated into the
Csound repo, that's a big conversation we need to have and was a hot
topic during the developers' panel in Montevideo.  I think Michael had
taken some notes down; I just got back home last night and was
planning to do a conference follow-up email today with what I
remember. (I'll get the email going after breakfast. ;) )

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 6:55 AM, Rory Walsh  wrote:
> As long as we bundle CsoundQT with Csound, we have to expect users will
> continue to ask questions about it here and on the Csound project github
> page. It's bundled with Csound, it has Csound in its name, is it not time it
> became an official part of the Csound project? Maybe something to consider
> for Csound7?
>
> On 10 October 2017 at 01:02, Steven Yi  wrote:
>>
>> Hi Pete,
>>
>> Perhaps you should email the CsoundQT mailing list? Seems more
>> appropriate than this list.
>>
>> steven
>>
>> On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 5:56 PM, Peter Burgess
>>  wrote:
>> > Hi guys, I'm trying once again to build CsoundQt. I've cleaned the Qt
>> > project folder, cloned the develop branch and followed the
>> > instructions to make it. I have Qt5.9. I am once again getting errors:
>> >
>> > src/qutecsound.cpp:2103:43: error: no ‘void
>> > CsoundQt::setHtmlFullScreen(bool)’ member function declared in class
>> > ‘CsoundQt’
>> >  void CsoundQt::setHtmlFullScreen(bool full)
>> >                                            ^
>> > src/qutecsound.cpp: In member function ‘void
>> > CsoundQt::showVirtualKeyboard(bool)’:
>> > src/qutecsound.cpp:2175:41: warning: unused parameter ‘show’
>> > [-Wunused-parameter]
>> >  void CsoundQt::showVirtualKeyboard(bool show)
>> >                                          ^~~~
>> > src/qutecsound.cpp: In member function ‘void
>> > CsoundQt::showTableEditor(bool)’:
>> > src/qutecsound.cpp:2201:37: warning: unused parameter ‘show’
>> > [-Wunused-parameter]
>> >  void CsoundQt::showTableEditor(bool show)
>> >                                      ^~~~
>> > src/qutecsound.cpp: In member function ‘void
>> > CsoundQt::showHtml5Gui(bool)’:
>> > src/qutecsound.cpp:2265:34: warning: unused parameter ‘show’
>> > [-Wunused-parameter]
>> >  void CsoundQt::showHtml5Gui(bool show)
>> >                                   ^~~~
>> > make: *** [build/doubles/obj/qutecsound.o] Error 1
>> >
>> > I've tried wiping the folder, recloning and rebuilding twice, to no
>> > avail. Any thoughts what's up here?
>> >
>> > Pete
>> >
>> > --
>> > http://algorythmradio.com
>> > https://soundcloud.com/algorythmradio

Date2017-10-10 15:01
FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] CsoundQt
I realise this is a fairly broad topic, and one that's likely to rustle a few feathers ;) Enjoy your breakfast!

Date2017-10-10 16:37
FromTarmo Johannes
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] CsoundQt
Hi,

I already answered Peter and forwarded the discussion to CsoundQt mailing list. I completely agree that this is more appropriate place for these questions.

I agree that unfortunately CsoundQt list is much more passive but I am very much for the idea that it should be used more. Also to keep explaining that CsoundQt and Csound should be distiguished as the problems and also people who mostly solve those are different.

Thanks!
Tarmo

10.10.2017 17:02 kirjutas kuupäeval "Rory Walsh" <rorywalsh@ear.ie>:
I realise this is a fairly broad topic, and one that's likely to rustle a few feathers ;) Enjoy your breakfast!

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] CsoundQt
Something I have heard about several times is that teachers tell students to use CsoundQt but then it crashes and the students give up and sometimes blame Csound. This then becomes a problem for the teachers as well.

I suggest we test the current release of CsoundQt in this newbie scenario on all three major operating systems, and fix all the problems. This should include the HTML5 features. Unfortunately it all seems to work for me.

Best,
Mike

On Oct 10, 2017 11:37 AM, "Tarmo Johannes" <trmjhnns@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

I already answered Peter and forwarded the discussion to CsoundQt mailing list. I completely agree that this is more appropriate place for these questions.

I agree that unfortunately CsoundQt list is much more passive but I am very much for the idea that it should be used more. Also to keep explaining that CsoundQt and Csound should be distiguished as the problems and also people who mostly solve those are different.

Thanks!
Tarmo

10.10.2017 17:02 kirjutas kuupäeval "Rory Walsh" <rorywalsh@ear.ie>:
I realise this is a fairly broad topic, and one that's likely to rustle a few feathers ;) Enjoy your breakfast!

Date2017-10-10 20:19
FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] CsoundQt
Something I have heard about several times is that teachers tell students to use CsoundQt but then it crashes and the students give up and sometimes blame Csound. This then becomes a problem for the teachers as well.

The same thing has happened with Cabbage. It obviously works for me before I deploy a release, otherwise I wouldn't publish the release. When Cabbage fails it reflects badly on the me rather than the Csound project. If software packaged with Csound fails, I believe it does reflect poorly on the project. This is the reason why I prefer not to have Cabbage included with Csound.

OTOH, I do see the use in providing an out of the box solution for people so they can get started straight away. It's not an easy situation to address. My preference would be for a lightweight editor/csd player. I don't think it needs to support widgets. I just think it should run every example in the Csound manual. I think a simple web-based front-end would even do fine. I think other frontend packages should be released as 3rd party Csound software and labeled as such.

Since I started using the Csound program, I've never once had an issue with it not running. It's always worked. It's one of the single most dependable pieces of software I've ever encountered. It destroys me when I hear people slam it because they couldn't get CsoundQT to run.

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] CsoundQt
what we might do is:
1. put only raw csound in the installer, together with
2. a proper readme file which points to the appropriate CsoundQt,
Cabbage, Blue ... executables for every platform.

and perhaps also a description of other possibilities of using csound
(web, api, ...).

then we had a more lightweight installer, with no doubt what is csound
and what is the frontend.

good?

	joachim

On 10/10/17 21:19, Rory Walsh wrote:
>     Something I have heard about several times is that teachers tell
>     students to use CsoundQt but then it crashes and the students give
>     up and sometimes blame Csound. This then becomes a problem for the
>     teachers as well.
>

> The same thing has happened with Cabbage. It obviously works for me
> before I deploy a release, otherwise I wouldn't publish the release.
> When Cabbage fails it reflects badly on the me rather than the Csound
> project. If software packaged with Csound fails, I believe it does
> reflect poorly on the project. This is the reason why I prefer not to
> have Cabbage included with Csound.
>
> OTOH, I do see the use in providing an out of the box solution for
> people so they can get started straight away. It's not an easy situation
> to address. My preference would be for a lightweight editor/csd player.
> I don't think it needs to support widgets. I just think it should run
> every example in the Csound manual. I think a simple web-based front-end
> would even do fine. I think other frontend packages should be released
> as 3rd party Csound software and labeled as such.
>
> Since I started using the Csound program, I've never once had an issue
> with it not running. It's always worked. It's one of the single most
> dependable pieces of software I've ever encountered. It destroys me when

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] CsoundQt
This solves one problem but doesn't address the new user concerns that
are addressed with the current installer having CsoundQT.  I wrote a
long message to the user list that discuss an additional path where
CsoundQT does not have to package Csound, and Csound does not have to
package CsoundQT, and we instead have a third "Platform" distribution
that includes whatever is desired for a base csound install (designed
for new users, classes, etc.).  Could I ask that we continue this
discussion on the user list in the email thread I started there so
that user feedback is incorporated into any decisions regarding this?

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 3:56 PM, joachim heintz  wrote:
> what we might do is:
> 1. put only raw csound in the installer, together with
> 2. a proper readme file which points to the appropriate CsoundQt, Cabbage,
> Blue ... executables for every platform.
>
> and perhaps also a description of other possibilities of using csound (web,
> api, ...).
>
> then we had a more lightweight installer, with no doubt what is csound and
> what is the frontend.
>
> good?
>
>         joachim
>

> On 10/10/17 21:19, Rory Walsh wrote:
>>
>>     Something I have heard about several times is that teachers tell
>>     students to use CsoundQt but then it crashes and the students give
>>     up and sometimes blame Csound. This then becomes a problem for the
>>     teachers as well.
>>

>> The same thing has happened with Cabbage. It obviously works for me
>> before I deploy a release, otherwise I wouldn't publish the release.
>> When Cabbage fails it reflects badly on the me rather than the Csound
>> project. If software packaged with Csound fails, I believe it does
>> reflect poorly on the project. This is the reason why I prefer not to
>> have Cabbage included with Csound.
>>
>> OTOH, I do see the use in providing an out of the box solution for
>> people so they can get started straight away. It's not an easy situation
>> to address. My preference would be for a lightweight editor/csd player.
>> I don't think it needs to support widgets. I just think it should run
>> every example in the Csound manual. I think a simple web-based front-end
>> would even do fine. I think other frontend packages should be released
>> as 3rd party Csound software and labeled as such.
>>
>> Since I started using the Csound program, I've never once had an issue
>> with it not running. It's always worked. It's one of the single most
>> dependable pieces of software I've ever encountered. It destroys me when

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] CsoundQt
Good idea.

Best,

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 4:11 PM, Steven Yi  wrote:
> This solves one problem but doesn't address the new user concerns that
> are addressed with the current installer having CsoundQT.  I wrote a
> long message to the user list that discuss an additional path where
> CsoundQT does not have to package Csound, and Csound does not have to
> package CsoundQT, and we instead have a third "Platform" distribution
> that includes whatever is desired for a base csound install (designed
> for new users, classes, etc.).  Could I ask that we continue this
> discussion on the user list in the email thread I started there so
> that user feedback is incorporated into any decisions regarding this?
>
> On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 3:56 PM, joachim heintz  wrote:
>> what we might do is:
>> 1. put only raw csound in the installer, together with
>> 2. a proper readme file which points to the appropriate CsoundQt, Cabbage,
>> Blue ... executables for every platform.
>>
>> and perhaps also a description of other possibilities of using csound (web,
>> api, ...).
>>
>> then we had a more lightweight installer, with no doubt what is csound and
>> what is the frontend.
>>
>> good?
>>
>>         joachim
>>

>> On 10/10/17 21:19, Rory Walsh wrote:
>>>
>>>     Something I have heard about several times is that teachers tell
>>>     students to use CsoundQt but then it crashes and the students give
>>>     up and sometimes blame Csound. This then becomes a problem for the
>>>     teachers as well.
>>>

>>> The same thing has happened with Cabbage. It obviously works for me
>>> before I deploy a release, otherwise I wouldn't publish the release.
>>> When Cabbage fails it reflects badly on the me rather than the Csound
>>> project. If software packaged with Csound fails, I believe it does
>>> reflect poorly on the project. This is the reason why I prefer not to
>>> have Cabbage included with Csound.
>>>
>>> OTOH, I do see the use in providing an out of the box solution for
>>> people so they can get started straight away. It's not an easy situation
>>> to address. My preference would be for a lightweight editor/csd player.
>>> I don't think it needs to support widgets. I just think it should run
>>> every example in the Csound manual. I think a simple web-based front-end
>>> would even do fine. I think other frontend packages should be released
>>> as 3rd party Csound software and labeled as such.
>>>
>>> Since I started using the Csound program, I've never once had an issue
>>> with it not running. It's always worked. It's one of the single most
>>> dependable pieces of software I've ever encountered. It destroys me when

Date2017-10-28 00:35
FromPeter Burgess
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] CsoundQt
Wow, I've had a hectic schedule the last two or three weeks and totally forgot about this discussion. I think it would be great if either CsoundQt or one of the front ends was an optional part of the Csound bundle.

Cheers for fixing the bug Tarmo, at some point in the next few days I'll have another go building it and let you know what happens. I'll also find out the answer to your RtMidi question (although, I think I was building it without...?).

Pete