Csound Csound-dev Csound-tekno Search About

[Csnd-dev] Multiple instances

Date2017-05-17 10:06
FromAnders Genell
Subject[Csnd-dev] Multiple instances
Dear devs!

Is there any major obstacles or drawbacks with having multiple instances of csound?
Thanks to all your help we now quite successfully employ the csound api, and the developers responsible for the other parts of our vehicle driving simulator would like to have the sound handling conform to other parts such as graphics. This means handlig several csound streams as 'sound objects', so that the engine of the vehicle is one sound object, each wheel is a sound object, each surrounding vehicle is a sound object and so on. The way they would like to implement this is to have one csd file per sound object, and do one independent instance of csound per csd file. Would that be any cause for concern?

Regards,
Anders 

Date2017-05-17 10:41
FromTarmo Johannes
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Multiple instances
Hi,
To my experience multiple Csound instances run very well side by side, no problem ar all.
Tarmo

17.05.2017 11:07 kirjutas kuupäeval "Anders Genell" <anders.genell@gmail.com>:
Dear devs!

Is there any major obstacles or drawbacks with having multiple instances of csound?
Thanks to all your help we now quite successfully employ the csound api, and the developers responsible for the other parts of our vehicle driving simulator would like to have the sound handling conform to other parts such as graphics. This means handlig several csound streams as 'sound objects', so that the engine of the vehicle is one sound object, each wheel is a sound object, each surrounding vehicle is a sound object and so on. The way they would like to implement this is to have one csd file per sound object, and do one independent instance of csound per csd file. Would that be any cause for concern?

Regards,
Anders 

Date2017-05-17 11:24
FromRory Walsh
I do this quite a lot when using Csound in game engines, i.e, I attach a single instance of Csound to lots of different objects in a scene. It works fine. Cabbage plugins are all single instances of Csound too. Note that in each of these cases I use the hosts audio IO callbacks to retrieve the audio from Csound and output them to the sound card. I'm not sure it will be a good idea to have multiple instances of Csound trying to output directly, but I've never tried.

On 17 May 2017 at 10:41, Tarmo Johannes <trmjhnns@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,
To my experience multiple Csound instances run very well side by side, no problem ar all.
Tarmo

Dear devs!

Regards,
Anders 

Date2017-05-17 11:58
FromAnders Genell
Thank you both!
We use the host audio IO so that is no problem. 

We'll give it a go. 

Regards,
Anders

17 maj 2017 kl. 12:24 skrev Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@EAR.IE>:

I do this quite a lot when using Csound in game engines, i.e, I attach a single instance of Csound to lots of different objects in a scene. It works fine. Cabbage plugins are all single instances of Csound too. Note that in each of these cases I use the hosts audio IO callbacks to retrieve the audio from Csound and output them to the sound card. I'm not sure it will be a good idea to have multiple instances of Csound trying to output directly, but I've never tried.

On 17 May 2017 at 10:41, Tarmo Johannes <trmjhnns@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,
Tarmo

Dear devs!

Regards,
Anders