[Csnd-dev] official news

Subject[Csnd-dev] official news
https://blog.github.com/2018-06-04-github-microsoft/

Victor Lazzarini

FromPeter Burgess
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] official news
Yeah I saw this, what do you guys think of that? I'm not keen on the idea, i try to avoid microsoft at all costs

On Mon, 4 Jun 2018, 16:53 Victor Lazzarini, <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
https://blog.github.com/2018-06-04-github-microsoft/

Victor Lazzarini

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] official news
As I said it's best not to do anything, which would steal work from us
developers, unless there is an actual need!

So far, there is no indication of any changes to our license, our
GitHub terms of use, the kind of facilities provided to open source
developers, or to the cost of the service.

It can be argued this is a two way deal. Microsoft is using and
contributing more open source code, at the same time as it is buying
an open source company. I think Microsoft recognizes a need to adapt
to a software world increasingly based on Unix, Linux, and operating
systems derived from them (iOS from BSD Unix and Android from the
Linux kernel). I think Microsoft is trying to do an "IBM," to move on
to new products and services now that their original success with
Windows is fading, and the Windows phone OS has tanked.

Regards,

On Mon, Jun 4, 2018 at 4:56 PM, Peter Burgess
 wrote:
> Yeah I saw this, what do you guys think of that? I'm not keen on the idea, i
> try to avoid microsoft at all costs
>
> On Mon, 4 Jun 2018, 16:53 Victor Lazzarini,  wrote:
>>
>> https://blog.github.com/2018-06-04-github-microsoft/
>>
>> Victor Lazzarini
>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy
>> Maynooth University

Date2018-06-04 22:21
From"Worrall, David"
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] official news

A colleague of mine wrote to me as follows (my edit):

“Nothing to fear. They have shown Microsoft is a very different company and they love open source. I know some folks at github and they desperately needed cash, now they have it. Microsoft also fixed git to work with large files years ago: They have proven they are giving back many times. https://github.com/Microsoft/gvfs.

Apple is the new Microsoft they need to start giving back.”

@dw

---

Prof David Worrall, PhD

Audio Arts and Acoustics

Columbia College Chicago

33 E Congress Pkwy Room 601N

Chicago, ILLINOIS, USA 60605

Tel: (1)312.369.8821 Fax: (1)312.369.8427

Wikipedia: David Worrall

Personal research/creative practice website: avatar.com.au

President, International Community for Auditory Display icad.org

From: Csound-developers <CSOUND-DEV@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE> on behalf of Michael Gogins <michael.gogins@GMAIL.COM>
Date: Monday, June 4, 2018 at 4:16 PM
To: "CSOUND-DEV@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE" <CSOUND-DEV@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE>
Subject: Re: [Csnd-dev] official news

[...]