Csound Csound-dev Csound-tekno Search About

[Csnd-dev] Dolby Atmos and other software for spatialization in computer music?

Date2022-03-24 20:43
FromMichael Gogins
Subject[Csnd-dev] Dolby Atmos and other software for spatialization in computer music?
Over the past year or so I have noticed an increasing use of Dolby Atmos as a commercial standard for spatialization.

I would very much like to hear from any computer music or electroacoustic composers, or software developers, about their experience with Atmos or their comparisons of Atmos with other software/methodologies for spatializing audio.

For those don't know, Dolby Atmos spatializes sounds with a combination of "beds" (mixes of sounds whose locations do not change with time) and "objects" (mono or stereo mixes that can move over time and in real time). Furthermore, the Atmos format is abstract in somewhat the same sense as the Ambisonic format, and the Atmos Renderer can render the Atmos mix on any speaker rig (within limitations) including stereo and binaural.

My informal impression based purely on binaural mixes rendered for headphones by Amazon Music is that it works very well, but I would really like a sense of the response of the electroacoustic community to this software and the situation that it creates.

Best,
Mike

-----------------------------------------------------
Michael Gogins
Irreducible Productions
http://michaelgogins.tumblr.com
Michael dot Gogins at gmail dot com