[Csnd-dev] product opcode twice

Subject[Csnd-dev] product opcode twice
hi -

i am just looking at the new array methods, and i see that we have now
two quite different opcodes which are both called "product":

ares product asig1, asig2 [, asig3] [...]
kres/ires product karr[]/iarr[]

should this same name for two quite different opcodes be better avoided?

best -

Date2017-06-29 20:53
FromJohn ff
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] product opcode twice
Seems ok to me.  Both calculate a product

Sent from TypeApp
On 29 Jun 2017, at 20:33, joachim heintz <jh@JOACHIMHEINTZ.DE> wrote:
hi -

i am just looking at the new array methods, and i see that we have now
two quite different opcodes which are both called "product":

ares product asig1, asig2 [, asig3] [...]
kres/ires product karr[]/iarr[]

should this same name for two quite different opcodes be better avoided?

best -

FromGuillermo Senna
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] product opcode twice
+1 for Opcode overloading when possible.

On 29/06/17 16:53, John ff wrote:
> Seems ok to me.  Both calculate a product
>
> ⁣Sent from TypeApp ​
>
> On 29 Jun 2017, 20:33, at 20:33, joachim heintz  wrote:
>> hi -
>>
>> i am just looking at the new array methods, and i see that we have now
>> two quite different opcodes which are both called "product":
>>
>> ares product asig1, asig2 [, asig3] [...]
>> kres/ires product karr[]/iarr[]
>>
>> should this same name for two quite different opcodes be better
>> avoided?
>>
>> best -

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] product opcode twice
yes, we tend to try and use overloading when we can

Victor Lazzarini

> On 29 Jun 2017, at 21:03, Guillermo Senna  wrote:
>
> +1 for Opcode overloading when possible.
>

>> On 29/06/17 16:53, John ff wrote:
>> Seems ok to me.  Both calculate a product
>>
>> ⁣Sent from TypeApp ​
>>
>>> On 29 Jun 2017, 20:33, at 20:33, joachim heintz  wrote:
>>> hi -
>>>
>>> i am just looking at the new array methods, and i see that we have now
>>> two quite different opcodes which are both called "product":
>>>
>>> ares product asig1, asig2 [, asig3] [...]
>>> kres/ires product karr[]/iarr[]
>>>
>>> should this same name for two quite different opcodes be

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] product opcode twice
ok, i know what you mean.

but should then there only one manual page?  this puzzled me: i tried to
understand how to use the new product for arrays, and got on the other
manual page for product (multiplying to audio signals).

or maybe a hint and link from one page to the other?

best -
	joachim

On 29/06/17 22:07, Victor Lazzarini wrote:
> yes, we tend to try and use overloading when we can
>
> Victor Lazzarini
>
>> On 29 Jun 2017, at 21:03, Guillermo Senna  wrote:
>>
>> +1 for Opcode overloading when possible.
>>

>>> On 29/06/17 16:53, John ff wrote:
>>> Seems ok to me.  Both calculate a product
>>>
>>> ⁣Sent from TypeApp ​

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] product opcode twice
A single page is possibly the right thing to do.
Maynooth University,
Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
Tel: 00 353 7086936
Fax: 00 353 1 7086952

> On 30 Jun 2017, at 07:12, joachim heintz  wrote:
>
> ok, i know what you mean.
>
> but should then there only one manual page?  this puzzled me: i tried to understand how to use the new product for arrays, and got on the other manual page for product (multiplying to audio signals).
>
> or maybe a hint and link from one page to the other?
>
> best -
> 	joachim
>

> On 29/06/17 22:07, Victor Lazzarini wrote:
>> yes, we tend to try and use overloading when we can
>>
>> Victor Lazzarini
>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy
>> Maynooth University
>> Ireland
>>
>>> On 29 Jun 2017, at 21:03, Guillermo Senna  wrote:
>>>
>>> +1 for Opcode overloading when possible.

Date2017-06-30 11:40
FromJohn ff
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] product opcode twice
Yes

Sent from TypeApp