Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2019 16:33:01 -0700
From: burton
To: CSOUND@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE
Subject: [Csnd] OSCsend: docs discrepancy

https://csound.com/docs/manual/OSCsend, section Performance:

 	kwhen — a message is sent whenever this value changes. A message will
always be sent on the first call.

but a message is not sent if kwhen = 0 (sound 6.13 from git 40a21168c)

so either (a) the manual should be change and “always” rephrased towards
“unless 0” or (b) the opcode should send on the first call even if kwhen=0.

i guess it’s simpler to fix the docs… it will not invalidate current usage
and it preserves the perhaps useful option of not sending on the first call.

alex.

csound_test_OSCsend_kwhen.csd

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [Csnd] OSCsend: docs discrepancy (fwd)
If the behavior is used in music production or teaching, change the manual. If the behavior is not depended on, change the code.

Best,
Mike

On Fri, Mar 29, 2019, 06:51 john <jpff@codemist.co.uk> wrote:
i am reviewing older emails and found this one.

It raise the question should the code be changed to agree with the manual
or should the manual be changed.  I am sure convenience is not the
correct decider so I thought I would ask the developer community what they
think.

        kwhen — a message is sent whenever this value changes. A message will
always be sent on the first call.

but a message is not sent if kwhen = 0 (sound 6.13 from git 40a21168c)

so either (a) the manual should be change and “always” rephrased towards
“unless 0” or (b) the opcode should send on the first call even if kwhen=0.

i guess it’s simpler to fix the docs… it will not invalidate current usage
and it preserves the perhaps useful option of not sending on the first call.

alex.

csound_test_OSCsend_kwhen.csd
<http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/file/t339266/csound_test_OSCsend_kwhen.csd>

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [Csnd] OSCsend: docs discrepancy (fwd)
i'd vote to add the note in the manual.
	joachim