Csound Csound-dev Csound-tekno Search About

[Csnd-dev] Planning for Csound 6.18 release

Date2022-08-16 14:52
FromSteven Yi
Subject[Csnd-dev] Planning for Csound 6.18 release
Hi All,

Wanted to discuss a 6.18 release. Propose Friday, Aug 26. Thoughts? The one item I think would take a little time is to handle the libsndfile update. I suspect the desktop platforms will all be fine but updates for Android, iOS, and WebAudio builds will take a little work. Also, we should figure out macOS and whether to do separate arm64 and x86_64 builds or do a universal binary. Any other remaining issues?

Thanks!
Steven

Date2022-08-16 15:27
FromMichael Gogins
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Planning for Csound 6.18 release
Please do a universal binary if that would allow Csound to work with both amd and arm plugins at the same time.

It would be good for the Csound build for macOS to be a Hombrew formula. 

It would also be good for the windows installer to get into a widely used Windows package management system.

Best, 
Mike

On Tue, Aug 16, 2022, 09:53 Steven Yi <stevenyi@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi All,

Wanted to discuss a 6.18 release. Propose Friday, Aug 26. Thoughts? The one item I think would take a little time is to handle the libsndfile update. I suspect the desktop platforms will all be fine but updates for Android, iOS, and WebAudio builds will take a little work. Also, we should figure out macOS and whether to do separate arm64 and x86_64 builds or do a universal binary. Any other remaining issues?

Thanks!
Steven

Date2022-08-16 16:17
FromVictor Lazzarini
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd-dev] Planning for Csound 6.18 release
yes, there will be a universal binary now for MacOS.

On 16 Aug 2022, at 15:27, Michael Gogins <michael.gogins@gmail.com> wrote:

*Warning*

This email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.
Please do a universal binary if that would allow Csound to work with both amd and arm plugins at the same time.

It would also be good for the windows installer to get into a widely used Windows package management system.

Best, 
Mike

Hi All,

Thanks!
Steven

Date2022-08-16 16:23
FromVictor Lazzarini
As far as MacOS is concerned, I have the new libsndfile integrated in an universal build. It's been tested on arm and intel.
John has also added the option for mp3 output. 

Stephen Kyne was fixing the Windows build and integrating the new libsndfile, I think that is probably done by now. August 26 sounds good to me 
if we can get the other platforms together.

Victor

On 16 Aug 2022, at 14:52, Steven Yi <stevenyi@gmail.com> wrote:

*Warning*

This email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.
Hi All,

Thanks!
Steven

Date2022-08-16 17:49
Fromtjingboem
Re libsndfile and mp3: does this have influence on the manual pages for mp3in, mp3len, mp3scal and GEN49?

On Tue, Aug 16, 2022 at 5:23 PM Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
As far as MacOS is concerned, I have the new libsndfile integrated in an universal build. It's been tested on arm and intel.

Stephen Kyne was fixing the Windows build and integrating the new libsndfile, I think that is probably done by now. August 26 sounds good to me 

Victor

*Warning*

Hi All,

Thanks!
Steven

Date2022-08-16 17:56
FromMichael Gogins
Great, thanks. 

Best, 
Mike

On Tue, Aug 16, 2022, 12:50 tjingboem <magknevel@gmail.com> wrote:
Re libsndfile and mp3: does this have influence on the manual pages for mp3in, mp3len, mp3scal and GEN49?

On Tue, Aug 16, 2022 at 5:23 PM Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:

Victor

*Warning*

Hi All,

Thanks!
Steven

Date2022-08-16 23:14
FromSteven Yi
There's already a homebrew formula. We need to get Csound into choco however. 

On Tue, Aug 16, 2022 at 10:28 AM Michael Gogins <michael.gogins@gmail.com> wrote:

Best, 
Mike

Hi All,

Thanks!
Steven

Date2022-08-16 23:59
FromMichael Gogins
Yes and I use it. But it didn't seem to be up to date. 

On Tue, Aug 16, 2022, 18:15 Steven Yi <stevenyi@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, Aug 16, 2022 at 10:28 AM Michael Gogins <michael.gogins@gmail.com> wrote:

Best, 
Mike

Hi All,

Thanks!
Steven

Date2022-08-17 01:03
FromSteven Yi

On Tue, Aug 16, 2022 at 7:00 PM Michael Gogins <michael.gogins@gmail.com> wrote:
Yes and I use it. But it didn't seem to be up to date. 

On Tue, Aug 16, 2022, 18:15 Steven Yi <stevenyi@gmail.com> wrote:

Best, 
Mike

Hi All,

Thanks!
Steven

Date2022-08-17 01:08
FromSteven Yi
FYI: just tried building on Ubuntu 20.04 and 22.04; libsndfile version is 1.0.31. I get the following error:

[  0%] Building C object CMakeFiles/csound64.dir/InOut/libsnd.c.o
In file included from /home/steven/work/csound/csound/InOut/libsnd.c:25:
/home/steven/work/csound/csound/InOut/libsnd.c: In function ‘sfopenout’:
/home/steven/work/csound/csound/./include/soundio.h:108:20: error: ‘SF_FORMAT_MPEG’ undeclared (first use in this function); did you mean ‘SF_FORMAT_OPUS’?
  108 | #define TYP_MPEG  (SF_FORMAT_MPEG >> 16)
      |                    ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/home/steven/work/csound/csound/InOut/libsnd.c:706:12: note: in expansion of macro ‘TYP_MPEG’
  706 |       case TYP_MPEG:
      |            ^~~~~~~~
/home/steven/work/csound/csound/./include/soundio.h:108:20: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in
/home/steven/work/csound/csound/InOut/libsnd.c:706:12: note: in expansion of macro ‘TYP_MPEG’
      |            ^~~~~~~~
make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/csound64.dir/build.make:446: CMakeFiles/csound64.dir/InOut/libsnd.c.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:432: CMakeFiles/csound64.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [Makefile:166: all] Error 2

It doesn't appear that libsndfile1 has mp3 support built in:

I think we will have to make mp3 conditional for Linux. 

On Tue, Aug 16, 2022 at 11:23 AM Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:

Victor

*Warning*

Hi All,

Thanks!
Steven

Date2022-08-17 10:23
FromJohn ff
Victor introduced a flag to not build mpeg stuff. Look at CMakeFilestxt

On 17 Aug 2022, at 01:10, Steven Yi <stevenyi@gmail.com> wrote:
FYI: just tried building on Ubuntu 20.04 and 22.04; libsndfile version is 1.0.31. I get the following error:

/home/steven/work/csound/csound/./include/soundio.h:108:20: error: ‘SF_FORMAT_MPEG’ undeclared (first use in this function); did you mean ‘SF_FORMAT_OPUS’?
      |            ^~~~~~~~
/home/steven/work/csound/csound/./include/soundio.h:108:20: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in
      |            ^~~~~~~~
make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/csound64.dir/build.make:446: CMakeFiles/csound64.dir/InOut/libsnd.c.o] Error 1

On Tue, Aug 16, 2022 at 11:23 AM Victor Lazzarini < Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:

Victor

On 16 Aug 2022, at 14:52, Steven Yi < stevenyi@gmail.com> wrote:

*Warning*

Hi All,

Thanks!
Steven

Date2022-08-17 11:40
FromVictor Lazzarini
yes, it's USE_MP3=0 to disable it. That's what I'm using in the CI build.

On 17 Aug 2022, at 10:23, John ff <jpff@CODEMIST.CO.UK> wrote:

|            ^~~~~~~~
      |            ^~~~~~~~

On Tue, Aug 16, 2022 at 11:23 AM Victor Lazzarini < Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:

Victor

*Warning*

Hi All,

Thanks!
Steven

Date2022-08-17 13:27
FromSteven Yi
I found it yesterday but it's not enough; we need a compile check for availability of the feature, otherwise it's broken by default for a large group of users. 

On Wed, Aug 17, 2022 at 6:40 AM Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:

|            ^~~~~~~~
      |            ^~~~~~~~

Victor

*Warning*

Hi All,

Thanks!
Steven

Date2022-08-17 17:49
FromVictor Lazzarini
You may reverse it to make it 0 by default and then it will need to be turned on.
AFAIK there is no simple way to find out the exact version of libsndfile (not from sndfile.h from what I can see).

On 17 Aug 2022, at 13:27, Steven Yi <stevenyi@gmail.com> wrote:

I found it yesterday but it's not enough; we need a compile check for availability of the feature, otherwise it's broken by default for a large group of users. 

On Wed, Aug 17, 2022 at 6:40 AM Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:

|            ^~~~~~~~
      |            ^~~~~~~~

Victor

*Warning*

Hi All,

Thanks!
Steven

Date2022-08-17 19:43
FromSteven Yi
I'll check later today if there's a way to check the availability of mp3, will report back. 

On Wed, Aug 17, 2022 at 12:49 PM Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
You may reverse it to make it 0 by default and then it will need to be turned on.
AFAIK there is no simple way to find out the exact version of libsndfile (not from sndfile.h from what I can see).

|            ^~~~~~~~
      |            ^~~~~~~~

Victor

*Warning*

Hi All,

Thanks!
Steven

Date2022-08-17 22:55
FromSteven Yi
Working on it now but am switching back and forth between linux/mac. May cause issues for the moment if you're building from csound6 branch; will update shortly when resolved. 

On Wed, Aug 17, 2022 at 2:43 PM Steven Yi <stevenyi@gmail.com> wrote:
I'll check later today if there's a way to check the availability of mp3, will report back. 

On Wed, Aug 17, 2022 at 12:49 PM Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:

|            ^~~~~~~~
      |            ^~~~~~~~

Victor

*Warning*

Hi All,

Thanks!
Steven

Date2022-08-18 00:03
FromSteven Yi
I've completed the change using check_c_source_compiles(). It's perhaps a little ugly, but it did correctly work for me on macOS and correctly not worked for me on linux by default.  Let me know if anyone finds issues with this, otherwise seems like it should work now. 

On Wed, Aug 17, 2022 at 5:55 PM Steven Yi <stevenyi@gmail.com> wrote:
Working on it now but am switching back and forth between linux/mac. May cause issues for the moment if you're building from csound6 branch; will update shortly when resolved. 

|            ^~~~~~~~
      |            ^~~~~~~~

Victor

*Warning*

Hi All,

Thanks!
Steven

Date2022-08-18 08:40
FromVictor Lazzarini
Thanks. Just a thought... it could be connected to FindLibsndfile (can't remember if we have one).

Stephen K: does this work on Windows?

Prof. Victor Lazzarini
Maynooth University
Ireland

On 18 Aug 2022, at 00:05, Steven Yi <stevenyi@gmail.com> wrote:

I've completed the change using check_c_source_compiles(). It's perhaps a little ugly, but it did correctly work for me on macOS and correctly not worked for me on linux by default.  Let me know if anyone finds issues with this, otherwise seems like it should work now. 

|            ^~~~~~~~
      |            ^~~~~~~~

Victor

*Warning*

Hi All,

Thanks!
Steven

Date2022-08-18 12:14
FromStephen Kyne

It appears to be working fine. We are building with MP3 support on Windows now via the libsndfile in VCPKG.

Stephen

From: Csound-developers <CSOUND-DEV@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE> on behalf of Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@MU.IE>
Sent: Thursday 18 August 2022 08:40
To: CSOUND-DEV@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE <CSOUND-DEV@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE>
Subject: Re: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd-dev] Planning for Csound 6.18 release

Thanks. Just a thought... it could be connected to FindLibsndfile (can't remember if we have one).

Stephen K: does this work on Windows?

Prof. Victor Lazzarini
Maynooth University
Ireland

On 18 Aug 2022, at 00:05, Steven Yi <stevenyi@gmail.com> wrote:

|            ^~~~~~~~
      |            ^~~~~~~~

Victor

*Warning*

Hi All,

Thanks!
Steven