[Csnd-dev] new UDP server commands

Subject[Csnd-dev] new UDP server commands
Hi everyone,

I have implemented some extensions to the UDP server to allow for events and channel messages (control, for the moment)
to be sent to Csound.

It now recognises the following commands:

$[score]

@[channel_name value]

in addition to orchestra code for compilation.

For instance

$i 1 0 1

will run instr 1 for 1 second

and

@input 1.0

will set control channel “input” to 1.0

in addition, the UDP server now uses the new async API functions for this.
In git now.
Maynooth University,
Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
Tel: 00 353 7086936

Date2017-10-14 16:09
FromTarmo Johannes
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] new UDP server commands
This is fantastic -  enables much more flexible remote control!

I built, tested and works as expected! I can see several ways how to use it in
my projects.

Thanks a lot!
tarmo

On Saturday, October 14, 2017 2:36:20 PM EEST you wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have implemented some extensions to the UDP server to allow for events and
> channel messages (control, for the moment)
 to be sent to Csound.

> It now recognises the following commands:
>
> $[score]
>
> @[channel_name value]
>
> in addition to orchestra code for compilation.
>
> For instance
>
> $i 1 0 1
>
> will run instr 1 for 1 second
>
> and
>
> @input 1.0
>
> will set control channel “input” to 1.0
>
> in addition, the UDP server now uses the new async API functions for this.
> In git now.
> ========================
> Maynooth University,
> Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
> Tel: 00 353 7086936
> Fax: 00 353 1 7086952

Date2017-10-14 16:11
FromTarmo Johannes
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] new UDP server commands
The only thing I noticed was that when I send an empty string, the UDP server
is stopped. Is it inteded this way?

Although it is  good to be able to stop the server remotely, I am afraid empty
string can happen too easily and terminates the session in the middle.

tarmo

On Saturday, October 14, 2017 2:36:20 PM EEST you wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have implemented some extensions to the UDP server to allow for events and
> channel messages (control, for the moment)
 to be sent to Csound.

> It now recognises the following commands:
>
> $[score]
>
> @[channel_name value]
>
> in addition to orchestra code for compilation.
>
> For instance
>
> $i 1 0 1
>
> will run instr 1 for 1 second
>
> and
>
> @input 1.0
>
> will set control channel “input” to 1.0
>
> in addition, the UDP server now uses the new async API functions for this.
> In git now.
> ========================
> Maynooth University,
> Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
> Tel: 00 353 7086936
> Fax: 00 353 1 7086952

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] new UDP server commands
not really. Let me check this.

Victor Lazzarini

> On 14 Oct 2017, at 16:12, Tarmo Johannes  wrote:
>
> The only thing I noticed was that when I send an empty string, the UDP server
> is stopped. Is it inteded this way?
>
> Although it is  good to be able to stop the server remotely, I am afraid empty
> string can happen too easily and terminates the session in the middle.
>
> tarmo
>
>> On Saturday, October 14, 2017 2:36:20 PM EEST you wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I have implemented some extensions to the UDP server to allow for events and
>> channel messages (control, for the moment)
> to be sent to Csound.
>>
>> It now recognises the following commands:
>>
>> $[score]
>>
>> @[channel_name value]
>>
>> in addition to orchestra code for compilation.
>>
>> For instance
>>
>> $i 1 0 1
>>
>> will run instr 1 for 1 second
>>
>> and
>>
>> @input 1.0
>>
>> will set control channel “input” to 1.0
>>
>> in addition, the UDP server now uses the new async API functions for this.
>> In git now.
>> ========================
>> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy,
>> Maynooth University,
>> Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
>> Tel: 00 353 7086936
>> Fax: 00 353 1

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] new UDP server commands
I checked this and I was getting

"Parsing failed due to no input!
Stopping on parser failure”

but the server was still going. To close the server and Csound, use,
as before

##close##

or

!!close!!

Anyway, I’ve changed it not respond to empty strings.

I’ve added another command:

%[channel_name string]

for string channels, e.g.

%stringchn  hello world!!!

Maynooth University,
Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
Tel: 00 353 7086936
Fax: 00 353 1 7086952

> On 14 Oct 2017, at 16:11, Tarmo Johannes  wrote:
>
> The only thing I noticed was that when I send an empty string, the UDP server
> is stopped. Is it inteded this way?
>
> Although it is  good to be able to stop the server remotely, I am afraid empty
> string can happen too easily and terminates the session in the middle.
>
> tarmo
>
> On Saturday, October 14, 2017 2:36:20 PM EEST you wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I have implemented some extensions to the UDP server to allow for events and
>> channel messages (control, for the moment)
> to be sent to Csound.
>>
>> It now recognises the following commands:
>>
>> $[score]
>>
>> @[channel_name value]
>>
>> in addition to orchestra code for compilation.
>>
>> For instance
>>
>> $i 1 0 1
>>
>> will run instr 1 for 1 second
>>
>> and
>>
>> @input 1.0
>>
>> will set control channel “input” to 1.0
>>
>> in addition, the UDP server now uses the new async API functions for this.
>> In git now.
>> ========================
>> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy,
>> Maynooth University,
>> Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
>> Tel: 00 353 7086936
>> Fax: 00

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] new UDP server commands
I was thinking that CsoundQT could talk to the ‘Terminal Csound’ it launches via
these commands. Maybe a feature for future implementations.

It would allow running Csound safely as a separate process but still using the GUI.

Maynooth University,
Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
Tel: 00 353 7086936
Fax: 00 353 1 7086952

> On 14 Oct 2017, at 16:09, Tarmo Johannes  wrote:
>
> This is fantastic -  enables much more flexible remote control!
>
> I built, tested and works as expected! I can see several ways how to use it in
> my projects.
>
> Thanks a lot!
> tarmo
>
> On Saturday, October 14, 2017 2:36:20 PM EEST you wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I have implemented some extensions to the UDP server to allow for events and
>> channel messages (control, for the moment)
> to be sent to Csound.
>>
>> It now recognises the following commands:
>>
>> $[score]
>>
>> @[channel_name value]
>>
>> in addition to orchestra code for compilation.
>>
>> For instance
>>
>> $i 1 0 1
>>
>> will run instr 1 for 1 second
>>
>> and
>>
>> @input 1.0
>>
>> will set control channel “input” to 1.0
>>
>> in addition, the UDP server now uses the new async API functions for this.
>> In git now.
>> ========================
>> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy,
>> Maynooth University,
>> Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland

Date2017-10-14 18:25
FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] new UDP server commands

It would allow running Csound safely as a separate process but still using the GUI

But only if one uses Csound's audio io interfaces right?

Maynooth University,
Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
Tel: 00 353 7086936
Fax: 00 353 1 7086952

> On 14 Oct 2017, at 16:09, Tarmo Johannes <trmjhnns@GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> This is fantastic -  enables much more flexible remote control!
>
> I built, tested and works as expected! I can see several ways how to use it in
> my projects.
>
> Thanks a lot!
> tarmo
>
> On Saturday, October 14, 2017 2:36:20 PM EEST you wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I have implemented some extensions to the UDP server to allow for events and
>> channel messages (control, for the moment)
> to be sent to Csound.
>>
>> It now recognises the following commands:
>>
>> $[score]
>>
>> @[channel_name value]
>>
>> in addition to orchestra code for compilation.
>>
>> For instance
>>
>> $i 1 0 1
>>
>> will run instr 1 for 1 second
>>
>> and
>>
>> @input 1.0
>>
>> will set control channel “input” to 1.0
>>
>> in addition, the UDP server now uses the new async API functions for this.
>> In git now.
>> ========================
>> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy,
>> Maynooth University,
>> Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
>> Tel: 00 353 7086936
>> Fax: 00 353 1 7086952

Date2017-10-14 18:25
FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] new UDP server commands
And one way communication?

On 14 Oct 2017 6:25 p.m., "Rory Walsh" <rorywalsh@ear.ie> wrote:

It would allow running Csound safely as a separate process but still using the GUI

But only if one uses Csound's audio io interfaces right?

Maynooth University,
Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
Tel: 00 353 7086936
Fax: 00 353 1 7086952

> On 14 Oct 2017, at 16:09, Tarmo Johannes <trmjhnns@GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> This is fantastic -  enables much more flexible remote control!
>
> I built, tested and works as expected! I can see several ways how to use it in
> my projects.
>
> Thanks a lot!
> tarmo
>
> On Saturday, October 14, 2017 2:36:20 PM EEST you wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I have implemented some extensions to the UDP server to allow for events and
>> channel messages (control, for the moment)
> to be sent to Csound.
>>
>> It now recognises the following commands:
>>
>> $[score]
>>
>> @[channel_name value]
>>
>> in addition to orchestra code for compilation.
>>
>> For instance
>>
>> $i 1 0 1
>>
>> will run instr 1 for 1 second
>>
>> and
>>
>> @input 1.0
>>
>> will set control channel “input” to 1.0
>>
>> in addition, the UDP server now uses the new async API functions for this.
>> In git now.
>> ========================
>> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy,
>> Maynooth University,
>> Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
>> Tel: 00 353 7086936
>> Fax: 00 353 1 7086952

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] new UDP server commands
CsoundQT does. No difference there. This is
using the cli frontenf.

A host using other audio IO can also start
a server and communicate with it from
another process.

Victor Lazzarini

On 14 Oct 2017, at 18:25, Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@EAR.IE> wrote:

It would allow running Csound safely as a separate process but still using the GUI

But only if one uses Csound's audio io interfaces right?

Maynooth University,
Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
Tel: 00 353 7086936
Fax: 00 353 1 7086952

> On 14 Oct 2017, at 16:09, Tarmo Johannes <trmjhnns@GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> This is fantastic -  enables much more flexible remote control!
>
> I built, tested and works as expected! I can see several ways how to use it in
> my projects.
>
> Thanks a lot!
> tarmo
>
> On Saturday, October 14, 2017 2:36:20 PM EEST you wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I have implemented some extensions to the UDP server to allow for events and
>> channel messages (control, for the moment)
> to be sent to Csound.
>>
>> It now recognises the following commands:
>>
>> $[score]
>>
>> @[channel_name value]
>>
>> in addition to orchestra code for compilation.
>>
>> For instance
>>
>> $i 1 0 1
>>
>> will run instr 1 for 1 second
>>
>> and
>>
>> @input 1.0
>>
>> will set control channel “input” to 1.0
>>
>> in addition, the UDP server now uses the new async API functions for this.
>> In git now.
>> ========================
>> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy,
>> Maynooth University,
>> Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
>> Tel: 00 353 7086936
>> Fax: 00 353 1 7086952

Date2017-10-14 18:42
FromJohn ff
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] new UDP server commands
Are these new server commands documented?

⁣Sent from TypeApp ​

On Oct 14, 2017, 18:06, at 18:06, Victor Lazzarini  wrote:
>I checked this and I was getting
>
>"Parsing failed due to no input!
>Stopping on parser failure”
>
>but the server was still going. To close the server and Csound, use,
>as before
>
>##close##
>
>or
>
>!!close!!
>
>Anyway, I’ve changed it not respond to empty strings.
>
>I’ve added another command:
>
>%[channel_name string]
>
>for string channels, e.g.
>
>%stringchn  hello world!!!
>
>========================
>Prof. Victor Lazzarini
>Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy,
>Maynooth University,
>Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
>Tel: 00 353 7086936
>Fax: 00 353 1 7086952
>
>> On 14 Oct 2017, at 16:11, Tarmo Johannes  wrote:
>>
>> The only thing I noticed was that when I send an empty string, the
>UDP server
>> is stopped. Is it inteded this way?
>>
>> Although it is  good to be able to stop the server remotely, I am
>afraid empty
>> string can happen too easily and terminates the session in the
>middle.
>>
>> tarmo
>>
>> On Saturday, October 14, 2017 2:36:20 PM EEST you wrote:
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> I have implemented some extensions to the UDP server to allow for
>events and
>>> channel messages (control, for the moment)
>> to be sent to Csound.
>>>
>>> It now recognises the following commands:
>>>
>>> $[score]
>>>
>>> @[channel_name value]
>>>
>>> in addition to orchestra code for compilation.
>>>
>>> For instance
>>>
>>> $i 1 0 1
>>>
>>> will run instr 1 for 1 second
>>>
>>> and
>>>
>>> @input 1.0
>>>
>>> will set control channel “input” to 1.0
>>>
>>> in addition, the UDP server now uses the new async API functions for
>this.
>>> In git now.
>>> ========================
>>> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
>>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy,
>>> Maynooth University,
>>> Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
>>> Tel: 00 353 7086936
>>> Fax: 00 353 1 7086952

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] new UDP server commands
yes, it only takes in commands. For the other direction, there needs to be a server on the other side to receive data.

There are a few options for feedback:

- UDP opcodes
- OSC opcodes
- API host implementing its own messaging.

Victor Lazzarini

On 14 Oct 2017, at 18:25, Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@EAR.IE> wrote:

And one way communication?

On 14 Oct 2017 6:25 p.m., "Rory Walsh" <rorywalsh@ear.ie> wrote:

It would allow running Csound safely as a separate process but still using the GUI

But only if one uses Csound's audio io interfaces right?

Maynooth University,
Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
Tel: 00 353 7086936
Fax: 00 353 1 7086952

> On 14 Oct 2017, at 16:09, Tarmo Johannes <trmjhnns@GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> This is fantastic -  enables much more flexible remote control!
>
> I built, tested and works as expected! I can see several ways how to use it in
> my projects.
>
> Thanks a lot!
> tarmo
>
> On Saturday, October 14, 2017 2:36:20 PM EEST you wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I have implemented some extensions to the UDP server to allow for events and
>> channel messages (control, for the moment)
> to be sent to Csound.
>>
>> It now recognises the following commands:
>>
>> $[score]
>>
>> @[channel_name value]
>>
>> in addition to orchestra code for compilation.
>>
>> For instance
>>
>> $i 1 0 1
>>
>> will run instr 1 for 1 second
>>
>> and
>>
>> @input 1.0
>>
>> will set control channel “input” to 1.0
>>
>> in addition, the UDP server now uses the new async API functions for this.
>> In git now.
>> ========================
>> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy,
>> Maynooth University,
>> Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
>> Tel: 00 353 7086936
>> Fax: 00 353 1 7086952

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] new UDP server commands
They will be.

Victor Lazzarini

> On 14 Oct 2017, at 18:43, John ff  wrote:
>
> Are these new server commands documented?
>
> ⁣Sent from TypeApp ​
>
>> On Oct 14, 2017, 18:06, at 18:06, Victor Lazzarini  wrote:
>> I checked this and I was getting
>>
>> "Parsing failed due to no input!
>> Stopping on parser failure”
>>
>> but the server was still going. To close the server and Csound, use,
>> as before
>>
>> ##close##
>>
>> or
>>
>> !!close!!
>>
>> Anyway, I’ve changed it not respond to empty strings.
>>
>> I’ve added another command:
>>
>> %[channel_name string]
>>
>> for string channels, e.g.
>>
>> %stringchn  hello world!!!
>>
>> ========================
>> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy,
>> Maynooth University,
>> Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
>> Tel: 00 353 7086936
>> Fax: 00 353 1 7086952
>>
>>> On 14 Oct 2017, at 16:11, Tarmo Johannes  wrote:
>>>
>>> The only thing I noticed was that when I send an empty string, the
>> UDP server
>>> is stopped. Is it inteded this way?
>>>
>>> Although it is  good to be able to stop the server remotely, I am
>> afraid empty
>>> string can happen too easily and terminates the session in the
>> middle.
>>>
>>> tarmo

>> events and
>>> to be sent to Csound.

>> this.

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] new UDP server commands
Having said that it might be possible to request channel data and receive it via udp.

Victor Lazzarini

On 14 Oct 2017, at 18:45, Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@MU.IE> wrote:

yes, it only takes in commands. For the other direction, there needs to be a server on the other side to receive data.

There are a few options for feedback:

- UDP opcodes
- OSC opcodes
- API host implementing its own messaging.

Victor Lazzarini

On 14 Oct 2017, at 18:25, Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@EAR.IE> wrote:

And one way communication?

On 14 Oct 2017 6:25 p.m., "Rory Walsh" <rorywalsh@ear.ie> wrote:

It would allow running Csound safely as a separate process but still using the GUI

But only if one uses Csound's audio io interfaces right?

Maynooth University,
Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
Tel: 00 353 7086936
Fax: 00 353 1 7086952

> On 14 Oct 2017, at 16:09, Tarmo Johannes <trmjhnns@GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> This is fantastic -  enables much more flexible remote control!
>
> I built, tested and works as expected! I can see several ways how to use it in
> my projects.
>
> Thanks a lot!
> tarmo
>
> On Saturday, October 14, 2017 2:36:20 PM EEST you wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I have implemented some extensions to the UDP server to allow for events and
>> channel messages (control, for the moment)
> to be sent to Csound.
>>
>> It now recognises the following commands:
>>
>> $[score]
>>
>> @[channel_name value]
>>
>> in addition to orchestra code for compilation.
>>
>> For instance
>>
>> $i 1 0 1
>>
>> will run instr 1 for 1 second
>>
>> and
>>
>> @input 1.0
>>
>> will set control channel “input” to 1.0
>>
>> in addition, the UDP server now uses the new async API functions for this.
>> In git now.
>> ========================
>> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy,
>> Maynooth University,
>> Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
>> Tel: 00 353 7086936
>> Fax: 00 353 1 7086952

Date2017-10-14 19:20
FromGuillermo Senna
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] new UDP server commands
Commands for enabling/disabling the transmission at every k-cycle (or
maybe just when the value changes)?

Or were you thinking more like "What's the current value of ChannelX?
Send it to me at this UDP port"?

On 14/10/17 15:06, Victor Lazzarini wrote:
> Having said that it might be possible to request channel data and receive it via udp.
>
> Victor Lazzarini
>
> On 14 Oct 2017, at 18:45, Victor Lazzarini > wrote:
>
> yes, it only takes in commands. For the other direction, there needs to be a server on the other side to receive data.
>
> There are a few options for feedback:
>
> - UDP opcodes
> - OSC opcodes
> - API host implementing its own messaging.
>
> Victor Lazzarini
>
> On 14 Oct 2017, at 18:25, Rory Walsh > wrote:
>
> And one way communication?
>
> On 14 Oct 2017 6:25 p.m., "Rory Walsh" > wrote:
>
> It would allow running Csound safely as a separate process but still using the GUI
>
> But only if one uses Csound's audio io interfaces right?
>

> ========================
> Maynooth University,
> Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
> Tel: 00 353 7086936
> Fax: 00 353 1 7086952
>
>> On 14 Oct 2017, at 16:09, Tarmo Johannes > wrote:
>>
>> This is fantastic -  enables much more flexible remote control!
>>
>> I built, tested and works as expected! I can see several ways how to use it in
>> my projects.
>>
>> Thanks a lot!
>> tarmo
>>
>> On Saturday, October 14, 2017 2:36:20 PM EEST you wrote:
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> I have implemented some extensions to the UDP server to allow for events and
>>> channel messages (control, for the moment)
>> to be sent to Csound.
>>> It now recognises the following commands:
>>>
>>> $[score]
>>>
>>> @[channel_name value]
>>>
>>> in addition to orchestra code for compilation.
>>>
>>> For instance
>>>
>>> $i 1 0 1
>>>
>>> will run instr 1 for 1 second
>>>
>>> and
>>>
>>> @input 1.0
>>>
>>> will set control channel “input” to 1.0
>>>
>>> in addition, the UDP server now uses the new async API functions for this.
>>> In git now.
>>> ========================
>>> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
>>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy,
>>> Maynooth University,
>>> Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
>>> Tel: 00 353 7086936
>>> Fax: 00 353 1 7086952

Date2017-10-14 19:35
FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] new UDP server commands

CsoundQT does. No difference there.

I thought it also had the option of using its own audio callbacks. Either way, this could be a nice way to make CsoundQT more stable. I'm not sure it would be so useful with Cabbage where Csound is used only for processing.

This
is
using the cli frontenf.

A host using other audio IO can also start
a server and communicate with it from
another process.

Victor Lazzarini

On 14 Oct 2017, at 18:25, Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@EAR.IE> wrote:

It would allow running Csound safely as a separate process but still using the GUI

But only if one uses Csound's audio io interfaces right?

Maynooth University,
Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
Tel: 00 353 7086936
Fax: 00 353 1 7086952

> On 14 Oct 2017, at 16:09, Tarmo Johannes <trmjhnns@GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> This is fantastic -  enables much more flexible remote control!
>
> I built, tested and works as expected! I can see several ways how to use it in
> my projects.
>
> Thanks a lot!
> tarmo
>
> On Saturday, October 14, 2017 2:36:20 PM EEST you wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I have implemented some extensions to the UDP server to allow for events and
>> channel messages (control, for the moment)
> to be sent to Csound.
>>
>> It now recognises the following commands:
>>
>> $[score]
>>
>> @[channel_name value]
>>
>> in addition to orchestra code for compilation.
>>
>> For instance
>>
>> $i 1 0 1
>>
>> will run instr 1 for 1 second
>>
>> and
>>
>> @input 1.0
>>
>> will set control channel “input” to 1.0
>>
>> in addition, the UDP server now uses the new async API functions for this.
>> In git now.
>> ========================
>> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy,
>> Maynooth University,
>> Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
>> Tel: 00 353 7086936
>> Fax: 00 353 1 7086952

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] new UDP server commands
I've updated the Vim csound-repl plugin[1] to work with sending score.
However, I found that sending notes with Named instruments, such as:

i "MKeyPlayer" 0 10

caused an error:

sread: unmatched quote
  section 1:  at position -1
WARNING: Internal error in print_input_backtrace()
too few pfields (1)
illegal RT scoreline:
 ^
unknown opcode "
illegal RT scoreline:
"MKeyP
^

Perhaps this is a side effect from changes for #681?  (We should test
-L stdin too I assume?)

[1] - https://github.com/kunstmusik/csound-repl

On Sat, Oct 14, 2017 at 7:36 AM, Victor Lazzarini
 wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have implemented some extensions to the UDP server to allow for events and channel messages (control, for the moment)
> to be sent to Csound.
>
> It now recognises the following commands:
>
> $[score]
>
> @[channel_name value]
>
> in addition to orchestra code for compilation.
>
> For instance
>
> $i 1 0 1
>
> will run instr 1 for 1 second
>
> and
>
> @input 1.0
>
> will set control channel “input” to 1.0
>
> in addition, the UDP server now uses the new async API functions for this.
> In git now.
> ========================
> Maynooth University,
> Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
> Tel: 00 353 7086936
> Fax: 00 353 1 7086952

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] new UDP server commands
yes, probing for values is what I had in mind.

Victor Lazzarini

> On 14 Oct 2017, at 19:20, Guillermo Senna  wrote:
>
> Commands for enabling/disabling the transmission at every k-cycle (or
> maybe just when the value changes)?
>
> Or were you thinking more like "What's the current value of ChannelX?
> Send it to me at this UDP port"?
>

>> On 14/10/17 15:06, Victor Lazzarini wrote:
>> Having said that it might be possible to request channel data and receive it via udp.
>>
>> Victor Lazzarini
>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy
>> Maynooth University
>> Ireland
>>
>> On 14 Oct 2017, at 18:45, Victor Lazzarini > wrote:
>>
>> yes, it only takes in commands. For the other direction, there needs to be a server on the other side to receive data.
>>
>> There are a few options for feedback:
>>
>> - UDP opcodes
>> - OSC opcodes
>> - API host implementing its own messaging.
>>
>> Victor Lazzarini
>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy
>> Maynooth University
>> Ireland
>>
>> On 14 Oct 2017, at 18:25, Rory Walsh > wrote:
>>
>> And one way communication?
>>
>> On 14 Oct 2017 6:25 p.m., "Rory Walsh" > wrote:
>>
>> It would allow running Csound safely as a separate process but still using the GUI
>>
>> But only if one uses Csound's audio io interfaces right?
>>

>> ========================
>> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy,
>> Maynooth University,
>> Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
>> Tel: 00 353 7086936
>> Fax: 00 353 1 7086952
>>
>>> On 14 Oct 2017, at 16:09, Tarmo Johannes > wrote:
>>>
>>> This is fantastic -  enables much more flexible remote control!
>>>
>>> I built, tested and works as expected! I can see several ways how to use it in
>>> my projects.
>>>
>>> Thanks a lot!
>>> tarmo

>>> to be sent to Csound.

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] new UDP server commands
Not in the current released version. Unless it's a new feature in the RC

Victor Lazzarini

On 14 Oct 2017, at 19:36, Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@EAR.IE> wrote:

CsoundQT does. No difference there.

I thought it also had the option of using its own audio callbacks. Either way, this could be a nice way to make CsoundQT more stable. I'm not sure it would be so useful with Cabbage where Csound is used only for processing.

This
is
using the cli frontenf.

A host using other audio IO can also start
a server and communicate with it from
another process.

Victor Lazzarini

On 14 Oct 2017, at 18:25, Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@EAR.IE> wrote:

It would allow running Csound safely as a separate process but still using the GUI

But only if one uses Csound's audio io interfaces right?

Maynooth University,
Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
Tel: 00 353 7086936
Fax: 00 353 1 7086952

> On 14 Oct 2017, at 16:09, Tarmo Johannes <trmjhnns@GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> This is fantastic -  enables much more flexible remote control!
>
> I built, tested and works as expected! I can see several ways how to use it in
> my projects.
>
> Thanks a lot!
> tarmo
>
> On Saturday, October 14, 2017 2:36:20 PM EEST you wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I have implemented some extensions to the UDP server to allow for events and
>> channel messages (control, for the moment)
> to be sent to Csound.
>>
>> It now recognises the following commands:
>>
>> $[score]
>>
>> @[channel_name value]
>>
>> in addition to orchestra code for compilation.
>>
>> For instance
>>
>> $i 1 0 1
>>
>> will run instr 1 for 1 second
>>
>> and
>>
>> @input 1.0
>>
>> will set control channel “input” to 1.0
>>
>> in addition, the UDP server now uses the new async API functions for this.
>> In git now.
>> ========================
>> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy,
>> Maynooth University,
>> Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
>> Tel: 00 353 7086936
>> Fax: 00 353 1 7086952

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] new UDP server commands
Maybe it's an issue with csoundReadScore()? Don't know whether it
ever worked with named instruments.

Victor Lazzarini

> On 14 Oct 2017, at 19:52, Steven Yi  wrote:
>
> I've updated the Vim csound-repl plugin[1] to work with sending score.
> However, I found that sending notes with Named instruments, such as:
>
> i "MKeyPlayer" 0 10
>
> caused an error:
>
> sread: unmatched quote
>  section 1:  at position -1
> WARNING: Internal error in print_input_backtrace()
> too few pfields (1)
> illegal RT scoreline:
> ^
> unknown opcode "
> illegal RT scoreline:
> "MKeyP
> ^
>
> Perhaps this is a side effect from changes for #681?  (We should test
> -L stdin too I assume?)
>

> [1] - https://github.com/kunstmusik/csound-repl
>
> On Sat, Oct 14, 2017 at 7:36 AM, Victor Lazzarini
>  wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I have implemented some extensions to the UDP server to allow for events and channel messages (control, for the moment)
>> to be sent to Csound.
>>
>> It now recognises the following commands:
>>
>> $[score]
>>
>> @[channel_name value]
>>
>> in addition to orchestra code for compilation.
>>
>> For instance
>>
>> $i 1 0 1
>>
>> will run instr 1 for 1 second
>>
>> and
>>
>> @input 1.0
>>
>> will set control channel “input” to 1.0
>>
>> in addition, the UDP server now uses the new async API functions for this.
>> In git now.
>> ========================
>> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy,
>> Maynooth University,
>> Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
>> Tel: 00 353 7086936
>> Fax: 00 353 1 7086952

Date2017-10-14 20:16
FromGuillermo Senna
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] new UDP server commands
Would it be to complicated to have commands for enabling/disabling the
continuous (or after there's a change) transmission of the value inside
a channel? Wouldn't that reduce network latency if one wants to code a
UDP client?

In any case, it's a great thing that you're further developing this!

On 14/10/17 15:59, Victor Lazzarini wrote:
> yes, probing for values is what I had in mind.
>
> Victor Lazzarini
>
>> On 14 Oct 2017, at 19:20, Guillermo Senna  wrote:
>>
>> Commands for enabling/disabling the transmission at every k-cycle (or
>> maybe just when the value changes)?
>>
>> Or were you thinking more like "What's the current value of ChannelX?
>> Send it to me at this UDP port"?
>>

>>> On 14/10/17 15:06, Victor Lazzarini wrote:
>>> Having said that it might be possible to request channel data and receive it via udp.
>>>
>>> Victor Lazzarini
>>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy
>>> Maynooth University
>>> Ireland
>>>
>>> On 14 Oct 2017, at 18:45, Victor Lazzarini > wrote:
>>>
>>> yes, it only takes in commands. For the other direction, there needs to be a server on the other side to receive data.
>>>
>>> There are a few options for feedback:
>>>
>>> - UDP opcodes
>>> - OSC opcodes
>>> - API host implementing its own messaging.
>>>
>>> Victor Lazzarini
>>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy
>>> Maynooth University
>>> Ireland
>>>
>>> On 14 Oct 2017, at 18:25, Rory Walsh > wrote:
>>>
>>> And one way communication?
>>>
>>> On 14 Oct 2017 6:25 p.m., "Rory Walsh" > wrote:
>>>
>>> It would allow running Csound safely as a separate process but still using the GUI
>>>
>>> But only if one uses Csound's audio io interfaces right?
>>>

>>> ========================
>>> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
>>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy,
>>> Maynooth University,
>>> Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
>>> Tel: 00 353 7086936
>>> Fax: 00 353 1 7086952

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] new UDP server commands
Yes, that is more complex and probably better done from an instrument.

Victor Lazzarini

> On 14 Oct 2017, at 20:17, Guillermo Senna  wrote:
>
> Would it be to complicated to have commands for enabling/disabling the
> continuous (or after there's a change) transmission of the value inside
> a channel? Wouldn't that reduce network latency if one wants to code a
> UDP client?
>
> In any case, it's a great thing that you're further developing this!
>

>> On 14/10/17 15:59, Victor Lazzarini wrote:
>> yes, probing for values is what I had in mind.
>>
>> Victor Lazzarini
>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy
>> Maynooth University
>> Ireland
>>
>>> On 14 Oct 2017, at 19:20, Guillermo Senna  wrote:
>>>
>>> Commands for enabling/disabling the transmission at every k-cycle (or
>>> maybe just when the value changes)?
>>>
>>> Or were you thinking more like "What's the current value of ChannelX?
>>> Send it to me at this UDP port"?

Date2017-10-14 20:51
FromHlöðver Sigurðsson
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] new UDP server commands
I remember suggesting this in St. Petersburg, if this works like I think it does, then I'm defenitely going to use UDP to communicate with csound instead of the API. But there was already socket instance available, but I never tried that enough to know if that already had what I had in mind. Look forward testing this, thanks Victor!

On 14 October 2017 at 21:19, Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
Yes, that is more complex and probably better done from an instrument.

Victor Lazzarini

> On 14 Oct 2017, at 20:17, Guillermo Senna <gsenna@GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> Would it be to complicated to have commands for enabling/disabling the
> continuous (or after there's a change) transmission of the value inside
> a channel? Wouldn't that reduce network latency if one wants to code a
> UDP client?
>
> In any case, it's a great thing that you're further developing this!
>

>> On 14/10/17 15:59, Victor Lazzarini wrote:
>> yes, probing for values is what I had in mind.
>>
>> Victor Lazzarini
>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy
>> Maynooth University
>> Ireland
>>
>>> On 14 Oct 2017, at 19:20, Guillermo Senna <gsenna@GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>>>
>>> Commands for enabling/disabling the transmission at every k-cycle (or
>>> maybe just when the value changes)?
>>>
>>> Or were you thinking more like "What's the current value of ChannelX?
>>> Send it to me at this UDP port"?

Date2017-10-14 22:38
FromTarmo Johannes
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] new UDP server commands
Attachmentsudp-test.csd
As a proof of concept,  I wrote a small Qt app for android (but the same is
easy to make works also on desktops and iOs) that sends UDP messages to
Csound. Works very well, I cannot feel any noticeable latency.

You can try it out:
http://tarmo.uuu.ee/varia/failid/cs/udp-test.apk

This app enables to load also other QML interface files where you can design
your own UI and with method udpSender.sendUDPMessage send it to Csound.

In future I think it would make sense to enable this app (or something
similar) to read also the widget's part of CsoundQt csd-s or maybe even html.

For separating Csound process from CsoundQt to make it more stable, it is not
enough since it requires fast two way communication, accessing MIDI
ringbuffers, messageCallbacks etc  but I believe Qt's new QRemoteObjects or
QLocalServer could do something similar.

Anyway - this is great! Creating remote UI-s (for tablets for example) is so
much easier!

tarmo

Here is  csd I used for testing:
---

-odac
-d
--port=6006

sr = 44100
ksmps = 32
nchnls = 2
0dbfs = 1

chnset 400, "freq"
chnset "None", "message"

instr 1
	kfreq chnget "freq"
	Sstring chnget "message"
	printks Sstring, 0.5
	printk2 kfreq
	out poscil(linenr(0.2,0.1,0.1,0.001),kfreq)
endin

---

On laupäev, 14. oktoober 2017 21:20.02 EEST Guillermo Senna wrote:
> Commands for enabling/disabling the transmission at every k-cycle (or
> maybe just when the value changes)?
>
> Or were you thinking more like "What's the current value of ChannelX?
> Send it to me at this UDP port"?
>
> On 14/10/17 15:06, Victor Lazzarini wrote:
> > Having said that it might be possible to request channel data and receive
> > it via udp.
> >
> > Victor Lazzarini
> > Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy
> > Maynooth University
> > Ireland
> >
> > On 14 Oct 2017, at 18:45, Victor Lazzarini
> > > wrote:
> >
> > yes, it only takes in commands. For the other direction, there needs to be
> > a server on the other side to receive data.
> >
> > There are a few options for feedback:
> >
> > - UDP opcodes
> > - OSC opcodes
> > - API host implementing its own messaging.
> >
> > Victor Lazzarini
> > Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy
> > Maynooth University
> > Ireland
> >
> > On 14 Oct 2017, at 18:25, Rory Walsh
> > > wrote:
> >
> > And one way communication?
> >
> > On 14 Oct 2017 6:25 p.m., "Rory Walsh"
> > > wrote:
> >
> > It would allow running Csound safely as a separate process but still using
> > the GUI
> >
> > But only if one uses Csound's audio io interfaces right?
> >

> > ========================
> > Prof. Victor Lazzarini
> > Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy,
> > Maynooth University,
> > Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
> > Tel: 00 353 7086936
> > Fax: 00 353 1 7086952
> >
> >> On 14 Oct 2017, at 16:09, Tarmo Johannes
> >>
> >> This is fantastic -  enables much more flexible remote control!
> >>
> >> I built, tested and works as expected! I can see several ways how to use
> >> it in my projects.
> >>
> >> Thanks a lot!
> >> tarmo

> >> to be sent to Csound.

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] new UDP server commands
it was a bug in the async function. All fixed now.
Maynooth University,
Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
Tel: 00 353 7086936
Fax: 00 353 1 7086952

> On 14 Oct 2017, at 20:04, Victor Lazzarini  wrote:
>
> Maybe it's an issue with csoundReadScore()? Don't know whether it
> ever worked with named instruments.
>
> Victor Lazzarini
>
>> On 14 Oct 2017, at 19:52, Steven Yi  wrote:
>>
>> I've updated the Vim csound-repl plugin[1] to work with sending score.
>> However, I found that sending notes with Named instruments, such as:
>>
>> i "MKeyPlayer" 0 10
>>
>> caused an error:
>>
>> sread: unmatched quote
>> section 1:  at position -1
>> WARNING: Internal error in print_input_backtrace()
>> too few pfields (1)
>> illegal RT scoreline:
>> ^
>> unknown opcode "
>> illegal RT scoreline:
>> "MKeyP
>> ^
>>
>> Perhaps this is a side effect from changes for #681?  (We should test
>> -L stdin too I assume?)
>>

>> [1] - https://github.com/kunstmusik/csound-repl
>>
>> On Sat, Oct 14, 2017 at 7:36 AM, Victor Lazzarini
>>  wrote:
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> I have implemented some extensions to the UDP server to allow for events and channel messages (control, for the moment)
>>> to be sent to Csound.
>>>
>>> It now recognises the following commands:
>>>
>>> $[score]
>>>
>>> @[channel_name value]
>>>
>>> in addition to orchestra code for compilation.
>>>
>>> For instance
>>>
>>> $i 1 0 1
>>>
>>> will run instr 1 for 1 second
>>>
>>> and
>>>
>>> @input 1.0
>>>
>>> will set control channel “input” to 1.0
>>>
>>> in addition, the UDP server now uses the new async API functions for this.
>>> In git now.
>>> ========================
>>> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
>>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy,
>>> Maynooth University,
>>> Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
>>> Tel: 00 353 7086936
>>> Fax: 00 353 1

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] new UDP server commands
yes, I don’t think it is a full replacement to the API (we don’t want that), but just some extra
functionality. I think we can have some limited feedback information going the other way
using UDP as well, but nothing that involves streaming of signals or anything too time-critical.
> [...]

>>> On 14 Oct 2017, at 18:45, Victor Lazzarini
>>>
>>> yes, it only takes in commands. For the other direction, there needs to be
>>> a server on the other side to receive data.
>>>
>>> There are a few options for feedback:
>>>
>>> - UDP opcodes
>>> - OSC opcodes
>>> - API host implementing its own messaging.
>>>
>>> Victor Lazzarini
>>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy
>>> Maynooth University
>>> Ireland
>>>
>>> On 14 Oct 2017, at 18:25, Rory Walsh
>>>
>>> And one way communication?
>>>
>>> On 14 Oct 2017 6:25 p.m., "Rory Walsh"
>>>
>>> It would allow running Csound safely as a separate process but still using
>>> the GUI
>>>
>>> But only if one uses Csound's audio io interfaces right?
>>>

>>> ========================
>>> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
>>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy,

Date2017-10-15 03:40
Fromthorin kerr
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] new UDP server commands
I'm just a user but can I chime in?
If messages - as in the Csound log messages - could be send via UDP you could get a kind of REPL going. Use case: Helps with livecoding.

On 15 Oct 2017 10:01 AM, "Victor Lazzarini" <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
> [...]

>>> a server on the other side to receive data.
>>>
>>> There are a few options for feedback:
>>>
>>> - UDP opcodes
>>> - OSC opcodes
>>> - API host implementing its own messaging.
>>>
>>> Victor Lazzarini
>>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy
>>> Maynooth University
>>> Ireland
>>>
>>> On 14 Oct 2017, at 18:25, Rory Walsh
>>> <rorywalsh@EAR.IE<mailto:rorywalsh@EAR.IE>> wrote:
>>>
>>> And one way communication?
>>>
>>> On 14 Oct 2017 6:25 p.m., "Rory Walsh"
>>> <rorywalsh@ear.ie<mailto:rorywalsh@ear.ie>> wrote:
>>>
>>> It would allow running Csound safely as a separate process but still using
>>> the GUI
>>>
>>> But only if one uses Csound's audio io interfaces right?
>>>

>>> ========================
>>> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
>>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy,

Date2017-10-25 15:12
FromHlöðver Sigurðsson
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] new UDP server commands
How does one send compileOrc or compileStr/Eval via udp,

I send this directly and I get complete silence
"instr 1\naout2 vco2 0.2, p4 \naout vco2 0.1, p4/2 \nouts aout+aout2/2, aout \nendin\n"

but when there's for example newline missing, csound will throw parser error. Was there any dollar sign or some syntactical thing for compileOrc?

On 15 October 2017 at 04:40, thorin kerr <thorin.kerr@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]

>>> a server on the other side to receive data.
>>>
>>> There are a few options for feedback:
>>>
>>> - UDP opcodes
>>> - OSC opcodes
>>> - API host implementing its own messaging.
>>>
>>> Victor Lazzarini
>>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy
>>> Maynooth University
>>> Ireland
>>>
>>> On 14 Oct 2017, at 18:25, Rory Walsh
>>> <rorywalsh@EAR.IE<mailto:rorywalsh@EAR.IE>> wrote:
>>>
>>> And one way communication?
>>>
>>> On 14 Oct 2017 6:25 p.m., "Rory Walsh"
>>> <rorywalsh@ear.ie<mailto:rorywalsh@ear.ie>> wrote:
>>>
>>> It would allow running Csound safely as a separate process but still using
>>> the GUI
>>>
>>> But only if one uses Csound's audio io interfaces right?
>>>

>>> ========================
>>> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
>>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy,

Date2017-10-25 15:17
FromHlöðver Sigurðsson
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] new UDP server commands
haha, delete and forget what I just asked, it was working, just had -m0 in my .csound6rc config :S

On 25 October 2017 at 16:12, Hlöðver Sigurðsson <hlolli@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]

>>> a server on the other side to receive data.
>>>
>>> There are a few options for feedback:
>>>
>>> - UDP opcodes
>>> - OSC opcodes
>>> - API host implementing its own messaging.
>>>
>>> Victor Lazzarini
>>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy
>>> Maynooth University
>>> Ireland
>>>
>>> On 14 Oct 2017, at 18:25, Rory Walsh
>>> <rorywalsh@EAR.IE<mailto:rorywalsh@EAR.IE>> wrote:
>>>
>>> And one way communication?
>>>
>>> On 14 Oct 2017 6:25 p.m., "Rory Walsh"
>>> <rorywalsh@ear.ie<mailto:rorywalsh@ear.ie>> wrote:
>>>
>>> It would allow running Csound safely as a separate process but still using
>>> the GUI
>>>
>>> But only if one uses Csound's audio io interfaces right?
>>>

>>> ========================
>>> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
>>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy,

Date2017-10-25 15:27
FromHlöðver Sigurðsson
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] new UDP server commands
of curiousity, what does `WARNING: Excess channels ignored` mean, fewer printing warnings is always a plus.

On 25 October 2017 at 16:17, Hlöðver Sigurðsson <hlolli@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]

>>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy
>>> Maynooth University
>>> Ireland
>>>
>>> On 14 Oct 2017, at 18:25, Rory Walsh
>>> <rorywalsh@EAR.IE<mailto:rorywalsh@EAR.IE>> wrote:
>>>
>>> And one way communication?
>>>
>>> On 14 Oct 2017 6:25 p.m., "Rory Walsh"
>>> <rorywalsh@ear.ie<mailto:rorywalsh@ear.ie>> wrote:
>>>
>>> It would allow running Csound safely as a separate process but still using
>>> the GUI
>>>
>>> But only if one uses Csound's audio io interfaces right?
>>>

>>> ========================
>>> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
>>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy,
>>> Maynooth University,
>>> Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
>>> Tel: 00 353 7086936
>>> Fax: 00 353 1 7086952

> <udp-test.csd>

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] new UDP server commands
it must come from an opcode that is not been used correctly (some mismatch with numbers of channels)

Victor Lazzarini

On 25 Oct 2017, at 15:28, Hlöðver Sigurðsson <hlolli@GMAIL.COM> wrote:

> [...]

>>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy
>>> Maynooth University
>>> Ireland
>>>
>>> On 14 Oct 2017, at 18:25, Rory Walsh
>>> <rorywalsh@EAR.IE<mailto:rorywalsh@EAR.IE>> wrote:
>>>
>>> And one way communication?
>>>
>>> On 14 Oct 2017 6:25 p.m., "Rory Walsh"
>>> <rorywalsh@ear.ie<mailto:rorywalsh@ear.ie>> wrote:
>>>
>>> It would allow running Csound safely as a separate process but still using
>>> the GUI
>>>
>>> But only if one uses Csound's audio io interfaces right?
>>>

>>> ========================
>>> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
>>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy,
>>> Maynooth University,
>>> Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
>>> Tel: 00 353 7086936
>>> Fax: 00 353 1 7086952

> <udp-test.csd>

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] new UDP server commands
Looks to be from a function called ochn in OOps/aops.c, which all of
the out opcode uses at init-time:

int ochn(CSOUND *csound, OUTX *p)
{
    uint32_t nch = p->INOCOUNT;
    if (nch>csound->nchnls)
      csound->Warning(csound, Str("Excess channels ignored\n"));
    return OK;
}

Guessing you're calling one of the out opcodes with more audio signals
than nchnls?

On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 11:31 AM, Victor Lazzarini
 wrote:
> it must come from an opcode that is not been used correctly (some mismatch
> with numbers of channels)
>
> Victor Lazzarini
>
> On 25 Oct 2017, at 15:28, Hlöðver Sigurðsson  wrote:
>
> of curiousity, what does `WARNING: Excess channels ignored` mean, fewer
> printing warnings is always a plus.
>
> On 25 October 2017 at 16:17, Hlöðver Sigurðsson  wrote:
>>
>> haha, delete and forget what I just asked, it was working, just had -m0 in
>> my .csound6rc config :S
>>
>> On 25 October 2017 at 16:12, Hlöðver Sigurðsson  wrote:
>>>
>>> How does one send compileOrc or compileStr/Eval via udp,
>>>
>>> I send this directly and I get complete silence
>>> "instr 1\naout2 vco2 0.2, p4 \naout vco2 0.1, p4/2 \nouts aout+aout2/2,
>>> aout \nendin\n"
>>>
>>> but when there's for example newline missing, csound will throw parser
>>> error. Was there any dollar sign or some syntactical thing for compileOrc?

Date2017-10-25 17:14
FromHlöðver Sigurðsson
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] new UDP server commands
aaah! Yes that explains it, that's exactly what I'm doing. As with 0dbfs, I'd need to add nchnls as command line argument.

Pointer, which I can make PR myself, --0dbfs=1 works as command line argument, but is not documented here http://www.csounds.com/manual/html/CommandFlags.html

Thanks for looking at this!