[Csnd-dev] Question for Windows techies

Date2018-11-05 16:35
FromJohn
Subject[Csnd-dev] Question for Windows techies
On the github issues there is the message

"I'm still getting frequent segment violations on my Windows 10 machine with 8
GB memory and Csound 6.12 beta. It happens in many different input files, and
only every few times I attempt to run Csound. I can run successfully a dozen
times, then it will get a segment violation. Could I try a more recent build
that may not have this behavior? All of the errors are when I'm at maximum
memory use, including some paging. On my Windows 7 machine, where I have 16 gb
of RAM, I often get to 13 GB memory use for the Csound instance. The Windows
10 machine has only 8 GB. Could that make a difference?"

I do not have a Windows computer that modern (there is still an XP box
somewhere) so I am not in a position to investigate let alone answer.
Could someone respond or offer advice?

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Question for Windows techies
I'm afraid I have no Windows computer at all, and gladly....

However, it's possible there are zombie Csound processes that are
running and have locks on resources. Use the Task Manager to see if
there are any, and to kill them if there are.

Best,

On Mon, Nov 5, 2018 at 11:36 AM John  wrote:

> On the github issues there is the message
>
> "I'm still getting frequent segment violations on my Windows 10 machine with 8
> GB memory and Csound 6.12 beta. It happens in many different input files, and
> only every few times I attempt to run Csound. I can run successfully a dozen
> times, then it will get a segment violation. Could I try a more recent build
> that may not have this behavior? All of the errors are when I'm at maximum
> memory use, including some paging. On my Windows 7 machine, where I have 16 gb
> of RAM, I often get to 13 GB memory use for the Csound instance. The Windows
> 10 machine has only 8 GB. Could that make a difference?"
>
> I do not have a Windows computer that modern (there is still an XP box
> somewhere) so I am not in a position to investigate let alone answer.
> Could someone respond or offer advice?

Date2018-11-06 11:32
FromOeyvind Brandtsegg
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Question for Windows techies
Hi,
I could help testing,
but I would need an example file that produce the error,
complete, including any samples or other that should be loaded in order to use that amount of memory.
all best
Oeyvind

Den man. 5. nov. 2018 kl. 17:36 skrev John <jpff@codemist.co.uk>:
On the github issues there is the message

"I'm still getting frequent segment violations on my Windows 10 machine with 8
GB memory and Csound 6.12 beta. It happens in many different input files, and
only every few times I attempt to run Csound. I can run successfully a dozen
times, then it will get a segment violation. Could I try a more recent build
that may not have this behavior? All of the errors are when I'm at maximum
memory use, including some paging. On my Windows 7 machine, where I have 16 gb
of RAM, I often get to 13 GB memory use for the Csound instance. The Windows
10 machine has only 8 GB. Could that make a difference?"

I do not have a Windows computer that modern (there is still an XP box
somewhere) so I am not in a position to investigate let alone answer.
Could someone respond or offer advice?

==John ffitch